Roon client lose connection frequently

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC (NUC8i5BEH), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel(R) Core™ i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Windows OS: Windows 11 Home (22H2)
Roon library is installed on the NUC internal drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NUC connected to Netgear GS308 switch, which is connected to a router of my internet provider

Connected Audio Devices

Issue occurs randomly when playing though system output, or when streaming to an amp or a PiAES streamer - there eems to be no dependency of the streaming device

Number of Tracks in Library

8814 tracks imported

Description of Issue

Roon core access drops frequently and in a random way - sometimes it plays without problem for hours, today e.g. it dropped every 10’ at a certain moment in time.
It dropped about 10" ago, and I happened to sit next to the NUC. I heard it making ventilator noise when the connection dropped - this was when playing through the NUC’s system output, so at that moment, no network was being used to stream.

Hi @Wim_Vanderpoorten

I’m just a fellow Roon user.

Are your client devices, aka endpoints connected via ethernet or WiFi?

As it appears to be happening with all devices it’s suggests either;

1. network related. Does you Roon Remote device still connect to your Roon Server on your NUC?

2. based on the noise, an issue with your NUC

Let’s look at 2), have you checked the CPU cooler fan for excess dust, fluff etc. Or even if the fan is failing. Maybe, with a monitor turned on you can monitor the task manager within Windows to see if CPU/RAM are affected.

Let us know how your clients/end are connected.

:innocent:

Hi @AMT
Thanks for the advice - I did check some performance parameters and it looks like I’m running against the limits of my memory. This probably changed after having installed Windows11 - that’s the only change I can imagine in the past few months. Will try to upgrade memory as a first step.
Clients are all connected ‘wired’ to the same router from Telenet (the network provider), but as said above, NUC issue is more likely since the problem also occurred when playing through the NUC jack connection…

If you don’t hear me back, my problem is solved… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Wim_Vanderpoorten,
Thanks for the report. Please let us know if you reencounter this problem after your troubleshooting. We’ll be standing by to help you out.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.