Roon client on Mac mini M1

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini M1 / macOS 11.0.1 / latest Roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

QNAP NAS for music files, 2018 Mac Mini (Intel) for Core

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone / iPad/ MacBook Pro / etc.

Description Of Issue

Everything working fine but Mac mini M1 with Roon client installed refuses to find the Core on the network. Weird thing is it worked initially for two days just fine but now can’t see the Core. I have deleted all things Roon from the Library (RAATSERVER, etc.) as well as the App itself and reinstalled three times and have gotten nowhere. All firewalls are disabled. I even installed regular Roon on the server (which was running just Roon Server) and it sees the core (on itself.) Everything on the network sees and uses the Core just fine except for the M1. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi @Bryan_McElhaney,

Is this Mac connected to the network any differently than the other devices? Is it on the same IP range?

Is it able to see the Core outside of Roon?

That is a very interesting question that I hadn’t considered. Both machines are connected to the network in the same way (wifi) but I am not able to connect to the server (which is running Roon Server) over the network like I should be able to for file sharing etc. It does show up in the network devices panel, but I can’t connect to it from the M1 machine. I get a “There was a problem connecting to the server…” message. What is that about I wonder? Thanks!

Hi @Bryan_McElhaney,

Can I please ask that you open the Roon app on the M1, try to find the Core and then send me a set of your Roon logs by using these instructions to access them? Please send the logs from the M1 Remote (not the Core), any questions just let me know!

Hi Noris. I actually solved this problem by hooking up both the core machine (Intel mini) and the client (M1 mini) via ethernet to a switch. When wired, they work perfectly. But something about wireless is wonky. And it isn’t just Roon - as I mentioned I couldn’t do file sharing wirelessly either between the two but that also works via ethernet. So Apple has some issues to work out (most likely with Big Sur and wifi routers.) Anyway, I do still have my original problem in that Roon won’t see my desktop DAC. Every other application does (macOS system, Tidal, Qobuz, YouTube, etc.) but Roon does not. Would the logs help you solve that issue? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Bryan_McElhaney,

Thanks for letting me know that the switch sorted this issue out!

Let’s continue troubleshooting the DAC in the other thread you have active, I’ll close this one out.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.