Roon client slowdown when queue approaches 5000 tracks

The title pretty much says it all. On Windows 10, the UI is slow when there are a large number of tracks in the queue (most of which have already been played). Example: when you skip to the next track it takes a second to show what you’re now playing. I guess I don’t really need support, just wanted you to be aware of this issue. When it gets bad, I just Ctrl+A and delete the entire queue, but I’d rather not have to do that.

Hi @starence,

Having a large number of tracks in the queue can certainly increase the performance needs of the Core machine, but this depends on several factors. Can you provide some details about your Core machine as well as the size of your library?

Are you experiencing this slowness on all remotes? Besides slowness when skipping tracks, is anything else slow?

Core i5-3570K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows/Roon on SSD, music files on HDD. I have about 300 albums in my library, but most of what I listen to is on Tidal or Qobuz.

I think just the UI gets slow on my Windows machine (Roon core). When skipping tracks, the playback isn’t delayed, but there’s a 1-2 second delay before the UI updates. So, when the new track starts playing, it still looks like it’s playing the previous one. Haven’t noticed it on remotes.

Hi @starence,

When you go to the Overview screen in Roon, how many tracks does it say you have total in your library?

It says 3981.

Hi @starence,

During this time is your Core machine performing any other operations? Do you have other apps open as well? If you look at Resource Monitor, what is the resource usage looking like?

I was waiting for my queue to fill up again, so the problem would occur. I started to notice the UI lag when my queue got up to about 4660 tracks, it could have started earlier though.

Usually, I just have a browser open, and some random background processes running. Typically when Roon core is running, it’s at about 5-10% CPU usage, and 30% memory. However, when skipping tracks, CPU usage jumps to about 60-70%.

As I mentioned before, deleting everything in the queue gets rid of the lag.

Hi @starence,

Next time you’re in this state, please make a note of the time you see this lag occur. Please note what track is playing, what time you press skip track, and how long this takes.

Thanks!

I think it happens every time it advances to the next track, whether I skip ahead or it just gets to the end of a song. The UI doesn’t update for about 1 or 2 seconds. I’m not sure if this matters, but I’m usually playing music from Tidal or Qobuz, not local files.

It seems like this could be remedied if Roon didn’t keep so many old tracks in the queue.

Hi @starence,

With timestamps we can enable diagnostics so we can take a closer look at what exactly is happening in Roon at that time so our team can better understand this. If you wouldn’t mind providing them, giving timestamps next time you see this happen would be a great help!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.