Roon completely broken after update

11 posts were split to a new topic: Remotes don’t connect to Core after update to build 860

Did you try to restore a backup?

Yeah, I had the same result, no audio devices, no music library.

I’m in the same boat. Ran the update and now everything is gone and no audio devices are showing. It was working fine moments before. I’m on a Mac M1, so doubt this is a windows specific issue.
What do I do??

Hey @Jason_A,

We’re so sorry that the update has had such an impact that you can’t listen to music at all. While Windows 7 is not officially supported, it does not mean that for your use case it won’t work. So, we’re glad you were all set.

The symptoms you’re describing point to database corruption (more on that soon). In the meantime, could you please try these steps?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Restore a backup

Thanks a lot :pray:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Remotes don’t connect to Core after update to build 860

A post was merged into an existing topic: Remotes don’t connect to Core after update to build 860

Hey @Fabian_Falconett,

Thanks for letting us know you’re experiencing somehting similar. The same thing as Jason :relieved:

Could you please give that a try?

Hi,

I have completed that process a few times.

So usually after the first time I get the no albums/no audio devices.
After awhile it will change to database issue (There was an issue loading your database)

I followed all the suggestions in the Roon Help Centre. It behaves the same way.
Loading a back up database will result in the no albums/no audio devices problems.

I reported same issue in the “Issue with database” thread here. I have also followed the database restore instructions as here (move the folder, reinstall, restore). Done it a few times. Same problem, cannot move past no audio devices and no music.

I’ve tried all that plus creating a new database and issues remain i.e. Roon will not scan/load albums and audio devices remain undetected. I’ve done complete uninstall and reinstall with no success.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon does not launch (hanging logo)

Hey @Jason_A,

Thanks for going through all the steps (and even more than once!). I only wish the result would have been what we were all hoping for: a restored database, so all your playlists, tags, favorites, play history, settings and so on will be just as before.

Do you have another backup (older) you could restore? I ask because, other than that, as much as it pains me to say, starting fresh is the only other alternative…

We created this post explaining things in more detail:

CC: @Alan_Sparks, @Paul_Candy and @Alan_McMillan

I couldn’t be more sorry this is the case. Our team is going through the same thing and we feel your pain… some of our databases are not restoring either :pensive:

Hey, this is just a joke? I just read this thread (Read this if "There was an issue loading your database" after updating to Build 880) where it says:

" If you restore from a backup and still see “There was an issue loading your database” , try restoring from your oldest backup. If you’re not having any luck with your oldest backup, then the only alternative is to start with a fresh database."

I tried reinstall Roon Server, restore database backup and still see that screen. Before the update I made this morning, everything was fine, and you now saying, “hmm, try to start fresh database”, are you kidding me? I’ve been managing this database for a few years.

If you approach the problems you have caused in this way, there is nothing but say goodbye to you for good.

2 Likes

Hey @Radek_Toman,

I wish I could say it was a joke, and a very bad one at that :pensive: :sob:

Thank you for going through the steps already. The only other solution to starting fresh is trying to restore an even older backup. Do you have any you could try?

If the backup is from before the database was corrupted, it should restore just fine. The reality is that once a database is corrupted, there’s hardly anything that can be done to continue to use it…

It’s not easy for us to say this and we’d all wish this wasn’t the case. Just like you, our team is experiencing corrupted databases and some of us are starting fresh too… :cry:

Okay so I’ve completely given up on getting my library back.

How do I get Roon to work?

A fresh install has the same issues.

So now what?

1 Like

Appreciate your apology, but hey - give up is marked as the solution?
None of my backups restore, so my best guess (being a new-ish customer) is that your backup facility doesn’t work too well. Or, your new software isn’t capable of reading the 1.8 build 831 database.

So, what now? I see people also saying starting from an empty database doesn’t work either. Do we wait for your guidance or is any to be forthcoming?

Since we know 880 (apparently) causes a lot of people a lot of problems, let us drop back and proceed forward carefully. At least maybe we could get back to working. And I know to disable automatic updates for the future.

-Alan

4 Likes

Dear rebeka, I keep the last two backups.

roon

Both don’t work. I understand it’s not your fault. But developers who refuse to admit their mistake and face it. It’s not OK to lose forever a significant portion of paying people. Thanks and good bye Rebeka :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This could mean that you’ve got Roon running on an old PC with an unsupported OS, your harddrive is nearly full, or the harddrive is just completely shot.

Can you tell us more about your PC? HDD or SSD, and how old is it?

Have you tried starting fresh yet?