Roon consistently crashes shortly after startup (Win 10)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows Security, no other antivirus or firewall
Running Roon Core, downloaded and re-installed on 8/19/19
Roon executables on C:/ (Samsung SSD), music files M:/ (Western Digital HDD)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

N/A - storing and playing music locally via USB connected audio system

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB: Aune X1 DAC preamp

Description Of Issue

I have been running Roon on this machine since December 2015 without issues. After a recent Roon version update, Roon now consistently crashes within approx. 15 seconds of startup. I removed and reinstalled Roon, but the problem remains. I have confirmed that my music files are accessible and are playable via Windows Media Player and my audio hardware. I have my logs zipped and ready to send.

Hi @George_White,

If you disconnect the Western Digital drive temporarily is Roon able to start up?

Can you confirm how many tracks total you have in your library?

I disabled the drive in device manager, and Roon was able to start normally.

I don’t have a way to count the number of tracks except for Roon - but according to file manager, the library is a total of 94,810 files in 28,844 folders, 878GB.

Hi @George_White,

Thanks for confirming this. It sounds like there is some media that may be causing an issue here with Roon. Can you move out any media that you’ve added in the last month and then re-enable the drive? Do things work after that?

I have not added any media in more than 6 months; well before this problem started occurring. Would you like to examine my logs?

Hi @George_White,

Yes, please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. Thanks!

Hi @George_White,

We are hoping that you can please try the following:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database (you’ll need to disable the drive to do this)
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Re-import your media and let us know if this occurs again once the media has imported

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.