Roon consistently loses control of device at exactly 30 seconds

Core on Roon Nucleus, Version 1.7 (build 571) ; Roon OS Version 1.0 (build 220) with library on Samsung 860 EVO MZ-76E2T0E 2 TB Solid State Drive mounted in Nucleus

Nucleus connected to ARRIS Surfboard Max Pro Mesh Wi-Fi 6 AX11000 via ethernet

Remote on macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.5; Roon Version 1.7 (build 571), connected via wifi
KEF LS50 connected via wifi

System has been playing consistently for some time but suddenly started losing control of audio device after exactly 29 - 30 seconds of playing. Does not seem to matter whether it is playing a file stored on the hard drive or playing live radio. There is a hard drop at 30 seconds. I have restarted the system, which in the past has solved losing control of device but to no avail. Everything seems to be up to date so I am mystified. KEF LS50’s will play Tidal on their own perfectly outside of Roon, but Roon is an absolute no go. Suggestions appreciated.

Hi @Bryant_Bainbridge,

Welcome to the forum! Did this issue start occurring only recently in the past day or two or did you see this same issue occur before this week as well?

The system was working perfectly the night before. In reviewing the sequence of events what I failed to note was that I received a notice that there was an update, which I installed and then everything went south from there. I assume that must have been 1.7

Hi @Bryant_Bainbridge,

Does this happen with other endpoints besides the KEF?

Good call! I do have a secondary endpoint downstairs that I rarely use which is a mac mini connected via wifi with output into an ancient Fisher 500-B receiver via RCA cable. I just went down and fired that up and it still works perfectly, so clearly something about the new update is not happy with KEF. There have been no KEF updates, so I am thinking we can point to Roon here.

Dylan,

Based on the results from my secondary endpoint, I moved the mac mini upstairs and ran it into the KEF LS50’s via RCA cable. That works perfectly, so the issue now appears to be narrowed down to wifi, which is unfortunate in that one of the key reasons I moved over to the KEFs was to get rid of boxes and wires.

Situation resolved for no known reason. System suddenly simply played as normal. Sorry for sucking up your time. I have a second nucleus tie to KEF LSX at another house. It will be interesting to see if that issue is repeated when updating software there.

Thanks for your time!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.