Roon constantly asking for update, even though the latest version is already installed

Hi,

We have had a small problem with Roon for quite some time now.
We constantly have a red triangle in the top right corner. If you click it, it shows this message :

(!) Metadata improver : Halted, Roon needs a software update
A software update is required before your music can be matched up with great cover art, lyrics, artist photo’s and more

So i checked the version in Settings > About.

Remote : This PC
Roon version 1.7 (build571) stable (64bit)
you have the latest version installed

Core : Antipodes CX ( IP Address of my Antipodes CX )
Roon version 1.7 (build571) stable
you have the latest version installed

So, if i have the newest version installed, why does Roon keep saying i need an update?
Sometimes i get a random update message, i do the update, Roon restarts, but nothing changes, the version & build are both the same as before.

I tried to clear the RoonServer cache, this fixes the problem for a little while before it occurs again.

I’ve contacted Antipodes to see what they think of this, they said i should try to delete the RoonServer app from my device, and re-install it, so i did. Nothing changed. The effect was the same as clearing the RoonServer cache. They then told me to ask you guys, so here i am.

Are you familiar with this problem & and how can i fix it permanently?
I’m looking forward to any answer or assistance.

With kind regards,

AFAIK this is a known bug and rebooting the core helped in my case and other users as well. Clearing cache alone does only help it temporarily.

Cheers
NOA

Thank you for your answer.
The core has been rebooted multiple times. It’s been on, and off power.
Nothing has helped so far, so i hope someone here, preferably a Roon employee, has a solution for this.
Or i hope to hear that it will be fixed in the next official update/version.

Hello @Derk_Broos, and thanks for your report! In most cases, rebooting has fixed the metadata improver message, but not in all cases. In such cases we want to understand what might make your system different. Can you describe your network setup for me? Thanks!

Hi Derk,

I had the issue again yesterday. Just another hint:

1. Reboot the machine that is running the Roon core.
  2. After reboot of the machine, reboot the Roon core once more.

At least this fixed it at my end.

Good luck
Norbert

Hi @nuwriy, Everything has been rebooted multiple times but nothing seems to solve this problem permanently.

My network setup consists of an Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC. My Roon Core is an Antipodes CX, and my RoonReady player is an Antipodes EX. Sometimes i play in a different zone as well with either a Bricasti M5 or a Lumin, this zone is not connected to a switch. But i’ve been playing a long time with this setup and i never had any problems untill a few weeks ago. The ethernet cables consist of Ansuz X-level to the core and other zone, and between the CX & EX there’s an AudioQuest Diamond.

This is our setup at work.
But at home i have the same problem, i have an Antipodes DX which functions both as the Roon Core & the RoonReady player without a network switch, so it’s connected straight to the router. Every day i have to clear the RoonServer cache to make the problem go temporarily away.

Rebooting does not work, not even temporarily.

@nuwriy

I’ve had the same issue…the first occurred a couple of weeks ago and the last one this past Monday. Both times I was asked to log in, deauthorize an exsiting Roon core (this was true on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac…all of which i can use to control Roon). Once I did so, I saw the red triangle and the same message.

The first time, the only way for me to have it disappear was to stop Roon core running on my QNAP server and restart it. Note that I was already running the latest core version at that time.

I have not done so the 2nd time because I want to make sure you don’t need any diagnostic information that could? get lost if I stop Roon and restart it.

Help to avoid this problem moving foward would be appreciated.

Thx.

Hi
We are distributor of Antipodes Audio in The Netherlands and we experience the same problem.
The only thing what solves the problem is deleting roon cache in the Antipodes Audio webinterface.
But as you said, after 1 or 2 days, it is back.
My guess it has something to do with Tidel, what we use here.
Also because, when the problem is there, we also cannot find albums on Tidal, to play. They just don’t show up.
When we add an Tidal album to our Library, it works, but then, the next day Roon cannot scan these files.

So we suspect a problem with Roon and Tidal but we are not shure.
We thought it was caused because we use Tidal on a couple of servers, but it seems that you also have this problem and you use only 1 server.
Do you use Tidal?

Kind regards
Derk Broos
Ohm-Audio BV

Dear Derk,

same issue here using a Antipodes CX server.
See topic: Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update. (Still not fixed)

In fact I use Tidal as well as Qobuz.

Did you have the chance to ckeck, if server hardware other than Antipodes does have the same issue when running roon core?

Best
Matthias

Hello @Derk_Broos, do you see this issue when you bring the core out of standby? Is there any other pattern you’ve noticed to what brings the message?

I’d also like to collect diagnostics from your cores so I can discuss this as part of our investigation into this issue. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

We use in our showroom a Antipodes CX EX combination, and now Antipodes Audio K50.
They both use roonserver and roonready and both have this problem.
At my home i also do use a Antipodes Audio K50 (before a antipodes DX3) with my private roon account, but the same TIDAL account, and both the DX3 and the K50 gives the fault.
There is no upgrade for roon, all the units allready have the latest software.

The first time we got this problem it was a couple month ago, and it never left since.
I hoped with every softwareupdate from roon it would dissapear, but it is not.

It is now standard procedure for us to clear the roon cache everytime we start up, so we start up everything twice.

Could it have something to do with the fact we use the same Tidal on some different Roonaccounts?

Hi Nuwriy

We cannot acces the Roon Logs with our Windows PC’s
We only see the storage where the music is
Also we can access the units with Putty, but i don’t see how i get the database in our dropbox…

Derk Broos

Hi Derk,

I am able to see the logs folder from Windows.
You need to configute “Expose Roon Server database […]” in settings/roon server:

After that you have to connect the network path: \\192.168.11.31\RoonServerDB
(change the IP address to the one of your Antipodes Server) and connect using the user “root” - no password.

Best Regards
Matthias

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.