Roon Constantly Crashes on iMac--Using Up 100+% of CPU

Just started trying out Roon free trial. Core Machine is a late 2017 iMac Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 Mhz DDR4

Using the iMac as the Core for right now. I imported a few albums from my external drive as a test run and they played smoothly. Shortly after, the application crashed without warning. After re-opening, it crashed after 15 seconds. Subsequent attempts appear to crash the application without warning after 10-30 seconds, with more frequently occurring crashes occurring on the shorter end. I can barely have it open long enough to get a screenshot. I have attempted restarting my computer, which does not appear to help. I have also re-installed Roon to no avail. I appear to be on the latest version as well.

Hi @Patrick_Priemer,

Welcome to the community. Can I please ask you to manually send me the log files from your Core by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

Also, can you let me know what kind of external drive you are using? What is the model/manufacturer?

Thank you, I will provide that when I get home from work. After reporting this initial issue, I tried importing my full library, which seemed to respond better than before. The drive(s) I am using are x4 WD Reds, 10TB’s apiece, model # WD101KFBX. They are housed in an OWC Thunderbay 4 enclosure, using a RAID 1+0 setup.

1 Like

I’ve been using it for about an hour now pretty heavily and I have not seen any crashing. Hoping it was just due to the initial scan of my 50,000+ track library. I will report back if it occurs again in the near future. I appreciate the help!

1 Like

The first “little while” of your Roon experience is likely to be CPU intensive. I too had an initial stumble followed by consistent performance. Hang in there.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m back to experiencing very sporadic crashes on my machine. Sometimes Roon will not open at all and immediately crash before loading my library, other times it will crash randomly when playing music. I can’t really detect any discernible pattern.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.