Roon constantly drops the connection

bump ducking bump

Bump Bumo Bump.

Thee must be a reason thia is being ignored/

Looks like Ashley has left Roon.

@support will hopefully be in touch with you in the week as they do not work weekends.
It does seem to have been waiting a while :scream_cat:

Yes, over 3 months. Still happrens.

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

First off, we’re terribly sorry that this message went without a response for so long. For context, there was a mistake reassigning this thread internally after some personnel changes on our team. That’s no excuse for you having to wait so long. I apologize for the strain on your patience, as I know how frustrating it is to bump a thread multiple times and hear only echoes.

We’ll absolutely pin down and resolve the connectivity issue you’ve been experiencing.

First off, did the Core reboot you performed in this other thread resolve anything with the connectivity issue you’ve been experiencing?

It will help to know some current details of your network, so I do apologize if you’ve provided some of this information previously.

Which network switches you were using (make and model)? Would you please also provide the model number of your router?

Do you have a firewall enabled on your Mac?

Let me know, and I’ll be closely watching for your response. We’ll follow up with additional troubleshooting steps and proceed from there.

@connor, @support
No, the connectivity issues still go on.
Network switch: Netgear G530v2
Router Asus Blue Cave
Firewall: No
None of these were new purchases when the problems began. It had all been working fine for months.
Nonetheless, the issues have just gotten worse. It tried to connect yesterday for literally hours.

I thought that employment thing might be THE thing.

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

We’ve gone through diagnostic reports from your device and I have a few suggestions before we proceed with additional steps. There’s a chance this will resolve the problem - which I recognize is painfully overdue at this point - but regardless, it should stabilize your setup and create replicable conditions so we can pin down what’s wrong.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Do you have a Watched Folder in Roon which is on an external hard drive? If the above steps don’t work, it will be helpful to see your watched folders by providing a screenshot of your Settings → Storage page.

You’ve endured an arduous and undeserved experience after your initial post slipped through the cracks on our end. I’ll follow up first thing after the weekend to verify if the database reset from the above steps worked.

You can see that my drives are connected to the NUC but for some reason late last year their names disappeared. There are 6 of them.

It’s doing something new. Now it gives me a warning just befor4 it loses the connection. A circle gradually draws itself and then the following shows up. After about 15-20 seconds this appears:

I think the picture above isn’t what you asked for. This is:

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

The tech support team took another pass at your logs and discovered several out-of-memory errors:

Jun  2 21:35:15 (none) user.warn kernel: [429433.234314]  out_of_memory+0x190/0x480

It appears you’re running a large library of local tracks on this system and it’s pushing the RAM of the device.

A temporary workaround would be to subdivide and then remove some content from your Watched Folders in Roon to improve performance. However, with this many tracks, the silver bullet would be to upgrade your RAM. I recommend flipping through Roon Core and Remote specification recommendations.

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

2 Likes

@connor
I suspected that was the problem. Do you have any idea how to do this?

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

We released some fixes related to known memory leaks with Build 970 (release notes are here, if you’re interested). I’m curious if upgrading to Build 970 has relieved symptoms at all, in case that was the issue at play here.

If not, let us know, and we can provide some illumination on upgrading RAM.

1 Like

@connor

It hasn’t. Still just as impossible.

My Roon Core is still unfindable.

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

We’ve pinned down a network connection error in your logs which I believe is underpinning the problem. Your Core is having difficulty reaching our servers, which would cause all sorts of interruptions with UI and playback:

06/19 02:09:00 Warn: [easyhttp] [3] Get https://devicedb.roonlabs.net/1/devicedb-prod.zip web exception without response: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443) Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
06/19 02:09:00 Warn: [devicedb] While refreshing, status: 999, body: System.Net.WebException: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (101): Network is unreachable

It’s possible a lease renewal, automatic firmware update, or something else under the hood changed this winter with your ISP and network setup when you started to experience problems. I know you’ve already eliminated variables by bypassing switches, etc., but I’m curious if you would be willing to provide a screenshot of the Web Administration page for your ROCK. There may be something in the IP address setup which gives a clear indication of what’s going on.

I’m not familiar with this model - can you please confirm if this is an unmanaged or managed switch, like the GS305EP?

Do you additionally have an ISP-supplied modem in this setup?

While I know it’s frustrating to continue to work through network variables after so much back-and-froth, we’ll unfortunately need to root out this issue as thoroughly as possible in order to guarantee stable playback moving forward.

@connor

No, I have a modem supplied by me. I forget the model but it’s a 1gb Netgear.

Yes, the switch is very much like that but with 8 outputs, It looks like: 300 Series 8-Port Gigabit Wired Switch (62W) - GS308EP | NETGEAR

I don’t know what it is you’re asking for?.An image of what?

@connor

HELP dammit!

As far as I can see, Netgear doesn’t make a 500 series switch. Are you sure you got the number right? Perhaps it’s really the G305v2?

If you follow the link (https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roonos-web) it shows that to get the image they’re asking for, you have to pull up the Roon remote on a phone or tablet, then go to “Settings”, then “Setup”, then find and click the “Configure” button.where it says “Configure Roon OS devices”. That will bring up a simple page showing the configuration of your Core machine. That simple page is what they’re asking for an image of. It would look something like this: