Roon constantly drops the connection

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

The tech support team took another pass at your logs and discovered several out-of-memory errors:

Jun  2 21:35:15 (none) user.warn kernel: [429433.234314]  out_of_memory+0x190/0x480

It appears you’re running a large library of local tracks on this system and it’s pushing the RAM of the device.

A temporary workaround would be to subdivide and then remove some content from your Watched Folders in Roon to improve performance. However, with this many tracks, the silver bullet would be to upgrade your RAM. I recommend flipping through Roon Core and Remote specification recommendations.

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

2 Likes

@connor
I suspected that was the problem. Do you have any idea how to do this?

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

We released some fixes related to known memory leaks with Build 970 (release notes are here, if you’re interested). I’m curious if upgrading to Build 970 has relieved symptoms at all, in case that was the issue at play here.

If not, let us know, and we can provide some illumination on upgrading RAM.

1 Like

@connor

It hasn’t. Still just as impossible.

My Roon Core is still unfindable.

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

We’ve pinned down a network connection error in your logs which I believe is underpinning the problem. Your Core is having difficulty reaching our servers, which would cause all sorts of interruptions with UI and playback:

06/19 02:09:00 Warn: [easyhttp] [3] Get https://devicedb.roonlabs.net/1/devicedb-prod.zip web exception without response: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443) Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
06/19 02:09:00 Warn: [devicedb] While refreshing, status: 999, body: System.Net.WebException: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Network is unreachable (35.231.208.158:443)
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (101): Network is unreachable

It’s possible a lease renewal, automatic firmware update, or something else under the hood changed this winter with your ISP and network setup when you started to experience problems. I know you’ve already eliminated variables by bypassing switches, etc., but I’m curious if you would be willing to provide a screenshot of the Web Administration page for your ROCK. There may be something in the IP address setup which gives a clear indication of what’s going on.

I’m not familiar with this model - can you please confirm if this is an unmanaged or managed switch, like the GS305EP?

Do you additionally have an ISP-supplied modem in this setup?

While I know it’s frustrating to continue to work through network variables after so much back-and-froth, we’ll unfortunately need to root out this issue as thoroughly as possible in order to guarantee stable playback moving forward.

@connor

No, I have a modem supplied by me. I forget the model but it’s a 1gb Netgear.

Yes, the switch is very much like that but with 8 outputs, It looks like: 300 Series 8-Port Gigabit Wired Switch (62W) - GS308EP | NETGEAR

I don’t know what it is you’re asking for?.An image of what?

@connor

HELP dammit!

As far as I can see, Netgear doesn’t make a 500 series switch. Are you sure you got the number right? Perhaps it’s really the G305v2?

If you follow the link (https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roonos-web) it shows that to get the image they’re asking for, you have to pull up the Roon remote on a phone or tablet, then go to “Settings”, then “Setup”, then find and click the “Configure” button.where it says “Configure Roon OS devices”. That will bring up a simple page showing the configuration of your Core machine. That simple page is what they’re asking for an image of. It would look something like this:

Thanks for that! It was ALMOST as you describe.

![IMG_5380|281x499](upload://5lCalRgafnB0IAsp3rshk68EPhO.png)
![IMG_5381|280x500](upload://fCsreqq0hTfrYvAldXUlU4y8yQN.png)

1 Like

We’re almost there. Now you have to click on the blue IP address, the 192.168.50.102, and that takes you to another page, which is really what they want an image of. Sorry, my fault, I didn’t read to the bottom of that page. It’s going to look like this:

I presume it’s now correct. That was really tough to do.

Yeah, bit of a trek. Sorry again I didn’t read all the way down!

You should scroll down and get the rest of the “Networking” details, too, in another shot. I think that’s probably what they really want, to see what the gateway and DNS settings are.

Not that you’ll see any response before Tuesday.

Ok, thanks!

Those values look good to me, though I suspect they will ask you to change the DNS server to something like 8.8.8.8, which is the public DNS server Google runs. Right now you’re doing DNS lookups on your local router, which depending on how you have it configured will either forward them to your ISP’s DNS service, or possibly something else, like Google’s or Cloudflare’s. But the connection failures pointed out earlier in the thread do not look like DNS problems to me. They could be; if your local router is caching DNS lookups, and the IP address of Roon’s server is changing, it could be out of sync. But I have no idea whether either of those two presuppositions are actually relevant.

Before you took this screenshot had you intentionally restarted your roon server software a couple of hours before?
Because the server OS shows as running for 14 days but roon server app as only 2 hours.

A post was split to a new topic: Experiencing Dropouts on Mac Mini Core

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

I appreciate your continued patience.

We need to pin down if the out of memory errors are contributing to the Roon Server restarts.

The QA team has supplied us a RAM test you can run on ROCK via a bootable USB drive. It’s a free, open-source software.

If you aren’t able to boot the above test, there’s an alternative software, too: If you are unable to boot the above test for some reason, there is an alternative tool:

Please let either of the memory test programs run for a few hours on your device (long enough to experience a Roon Server restart intermittently) and report the results to the team. It should give us a definitive answer if memory is the issue here.

Let us know if you have any questions in the meantime and thank you again.