Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin superfast over 200gb
KEF and core are wired to internet

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LSX wired

Number of Tracks in Library

1600 albums

Description of Issue

Following the recent update and when using android remote to stream from core to KEF LSX audio output, roon constantly loses control and playback stops.

1 Like

Hey @Stephen_Fletcher thanks for reaching out about this, we’re so sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Your patience is much appreciated.

I wanted to check in and see if you’re still having issues with Roon losing control of the device and stopping playback?

If so, could you please provide us with a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to the KEF output using the Android remote?

Does this happen with any other Roon Remotes? If you’re not sure, would you be able to try using another Roon Remote as a test to see if you can reproduce the issue?

I’m also interested to know if this happens with TIDAL/Qobuz/Local tracks?

Thanks!

Hi @ashley, thanks for coming back. Please find attached. The problem persists across tidal and local files, Android and iOS.
Thanks, Steve

Thanks so much for sharing that with us and for confirming that it happens when using other remotes.

Can you please confirm that the KEF speakers are on the latest firmware and that you have fully rebooted all devices within your setup? Reboot the Core, router, endpoints, remotes, etc. You’ll want to power down the devices, unplug them for a few minutes, plug them back in and power them on. Does the same issue occur?

Additionally, if you save your DSP settings as a preset and then disable the DSP settings - do you still see this type of behavior?

You can save your preset by going to the DSP Engine → Presets → No Preset Set → Save Preset as… This will allow you to save your current settings so that you can revert back to them after this test.

Hi Ashley, I can confirm the KEFs are running the latest firmware, I’ve rebooted all points and tested the DSP presets. The issue persists and in fact the android remote seems to be crashing / freezing more lately. Less so on iOS.
Thanks

I appreciate you trying those steps - I’m sorry that they did not help! It’s helpful to know that it’s occurring more on the Android, thanks for the update.

Would you be able to change the DNS to see if that improves the behavior? We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

Additionally, when this happens, do you notice if the internet in your home drops out or that the device (Android or iOS) changes subnets/networks (possibly to 5G)?

Hi Ashley, I have noticed a bit of a difference by adjusting the DNS to static. The issue does still remain but it’s less frequent. I’m starting to wonder if the issue is my ageing core though. Win10 with an i5 processor?

You can definitely see if the issue happens while using a different type of Core. Do you by chance have another computer that you can try to use as a Core? I would recommend hardwiring the new device directly to the router, as well.

When I last replied a few weeks ago, I took a look at your logs and saw some networking errors, so it’s good to know the DNS helped some. It’d be interesting to see how a new Core does.

Also, is there any change in behavior if you try to factory reset the KEF speakers?

Will look to pick up a new core later this.month i think. No change on a KEF factory reset. The router is a floor away (lounge) from my core (upstairs office), but the core is hard wired via a plug socket WiFi extender. Problem is resolved everyt time only by quitting and restarting roon. It then always picks up the KEFs again. Could it be anything to do with an idle time setting or the DSP settings/filters?

Hi Stephen,

There has been a new Roon update today. Have you loaded it yet and seen if it makes a difference?

1 Like

Thanks Daniel. 911? I have, just. Haven’t read the change log yet, are there some possible fixes?

Hi Ashley, the main issue now is the KEFs disappearing from my output list. I’ve a few outputs connected to the core but its only the KEFs that occasionally disappear, I.e I’m asked to request an audio zone and they only reappear with a Roon reboot.

Hi Stephan,

Is the Kef and the Core machine in the same room and attached to the same switch?

Hi @Stephen_Fletcher,

Thank you for getting back in touch. Hardwiring your Core is the best solution for addressing these kind of issues. The wifi extender might actually be contributing to the problem here.

As a test, can you try playing on the system output of your Core, rather than to the KEFs, for a period and let us know if things are stable?

No, different rooms.

Hi Jamie, so the core is upstairs and wired into an extender (cloned from the router) plugged into the wall. The kefs are downstairs wired into the main router. I play from the core through a DAC and a different set of speakers upstairs without any issues. Playing from the core to the kefs via android/iOS remote presents the issue.

Hey @Stephen_Fletcher,

Thank you for passing along these details. I think the extender is contributing to your problems here. We’ve made some changes in our recent build that may help, has this issue persisted on build 918? I’ll be watching for your reply.

Hi Jamie. Think 918 may be helping. I’ve not had the issue for more than a few days now. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.