Roon constantly losing control of the audio device (Sonos Play:1)

Roon Core Machine

Arch Linux (fully up to date), Xeon E31230, 8gb, 10Gbps wired eithernet, Core build 1169

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core wired 10Gbps SFP+ to Mikrotik CRS312-1 10Gbps switch
Netgear Orbi RBSE960 WiFi 6E mesh router wired 2.5Gbps to Mikrotik CRS312-1
Sonos Play:1 WiFi to Netgear Orbi RBSE960

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos Play:1
Squeezebox Transporter
Squeezebox Radio

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I recently purchased a lifetime Roon subscription after a successful trial period. I love the features of Roon, but starting recently, Roon is constantly losing connection with my Sonos Play:1 (S2). It worked flawlessly during the trial. I’m not sure why it’s changed (the Roon Core had an update, but I don’t think that coincided with the problem). Every day, often multiple times, Roon will be unable to play to the Play:1, spitting out the message “Roon lost control of the audio device”. The only way I’ve found to restore connectivity is to restart the RoonServer process, which is terribly annoying. Restarting the Play:1 has no effect.

My Squeezebox Transporter works flawlessly, and my Squeezebox radio never loses connection like the Play:1, but does suffer from the apparently long existing spontaneous mute bug. I can work around that one though.

I’d be very grateful for some help with this. Despite it being a little long in the tooth, the Play:1 is a really nice player for the kitchen where I do most of my casual listening. The server logs show nothing when this happens. Is there a way to enable detailed debug logging?

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hey @2Eleven,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to work through each thread.

Would you be able to test hardwiring the Play:1 directly to your router? If anything, this would be a very helpful thing to rule out early on.

After looking into this switch, it appears that it’s a managed switch, which is known to cause connectivity issues with Roon. If possible, can you test removing this switch from your setup and see if the issues occurs?

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Thanks for responding @benjamin - I thought this post had been missed so I got frustrated and bought a Sonos Roam for the kitchen. I’m using it via Airplay 2 which works flawlessly. The Play:1 has been relegated to the basement and is now hard wired. I have not experienced any connection drops yet, but I also have barely used it (I don’t spend a lot of time in the basement). I’ll let you know if Roon loses control of it again.

Regarding the managed switch, unfortunately I don’t have another SFP+ switch to try (and if I did, it would likely be managed). What feature(s) of managed switches causes issues? I could try disabling or avoid using that feature.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @2Eleven!

Here is some more information around using managed switches with roon:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.