Roon constantly rescanning the library

**iMac OS X Catalina 10.15.5 / Roon 1.7 build 537

TEXT GOES HERE

Linksys (TDS telecom), ethernet but also wireless, storage on QNPA HDX 453

TEXT GOES HERE

Bricasti M5

TEXT GOES HERE

I moved roon core from NAS to iMac because the large library was at the limit of the memory of the NAS processor, fine with the iMAC (32 GB). Streaming is fine, but Roon is rescanning the library all the time. It finishes with 170000 files or so imported, scans 270000 or so, then starts again right away. Most of the albums (8100 but many are collections) are there, although some deleted albums still show up no matter how I delete them. Please advise. I rebooted QNPA, iMAC, ethernet etc. already. Also restored a backup library from the NAS. I also disabled afp from the NAS and gave Roon the IP address rather than the name of the NAS (although after restoring from backup, which was on NAS, it shows the original NAS name rather than the IP address).

TEXT GOES HERE

Hello @eleatic_reader, next time Roon starts rescanning, can you provide a screenshot? I’d like to see if there’s a particular spot it’s getting stuck at. I’m going to enable diagnostics on your account to help track the issue, while I’m doing that, could you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

Once we have this information I can present it to my team for further analysis. Thanks! I look forward to receiving the timestamps from you.

Thanks Nuwriy. Somehow after the double reboot it has stopped rescanning (had rebooted several times before but never in short sequence). Let’s see if it holds up.

1 Like

It has started rescanning from scratch, adding albums as if it did not recognize them (now at 700 out of 7700). Not sure what happened. I think I had merged two CDs belonging to the same box. Then at some point it started again

And while it is rescanning, I went to library cleanup and it says there are 210000 deleted files to clean up (which obviously was my previous library)

Hello @eleatic_reader, could you please provide a screenshot of your “Settings > Storage” for me? Also, do you know about when the rescan started this time? Let me know!

Here it is. It restarted once more 30’ ago or so (not sure). Now it is adding albums back but my library still shows just 700 rather than >7000 albums. I think it happened after I added another CD to my storage location, and when it updated the library, instead of just adding that CD, it started from scratch.

and again it deleted all my flies from the library and started scanning and adding again, it will take several hours

seems to have stabilized after deleting storage location and setting it again with IP address.

It has happened again. I copied a new CD on the QNAP Music directory where my library is. After some time, I suppose when it was going to rescan, it started rescanning but from scratch (still doing it) and rebuilding the library. This way I always lose all the work in grouping together properly my many classical music collections (2-64 CD), which is a pain with 8000 CD

Hey @eleatic_reader — Thanks for your patience while we’ve looked into this!
I met with the team to discuss their analysis of the diagnostics report. Unfortunately, the data in the diagnostics report wasn’t conclusive, so we’re hoping we can gather a bit more data from you to aid in our investigation.
If you could, please reboot your Core machine and the next time the cycle begins, immediately close Roon and manually upload your logs for us — This will help capture the data needed for the team to fully understand the issue. Here are the steps needed:

• Reboot your Core machine
  • When you see the scan begin, close Roon and note the time this happened
  • Use the directions found here to send us over a set of logs using this link
  • Let us know the time you noted above here

I’ll keep an eye out for your post with the timestamp. Thanks!