ROON Controller is having problems [Solved: Update to Build 970]

Its much better for some reason.
When I edit a few albums in rapid succession it can stall/freeze when trying to go back to album list.
This fixed if i restart the controller
It maybe all the editing but the controller generally sorta sluggish going back and forth between different sections in controller (mainly entering an album track list and then back to album page)

I have rebooted my core (NUC / ROCK) twice.
I have resterted Roon Controls twice on my 2 Win10 PCs and an Android Tablet.

Thanks so much.

Have done what you have advised. Fingers crossed no more issue.

Hi,

After performing requested steps, nothing has changed related to Win10 Roon remote – still very slow and unusable.
Otherwise IOS Roon client is working properly…

Regards,
Csongor

Hi @Csongor_Kovacs, I’m sorry to hear the problem has persisted. To confirm, you restarted Roon and Roon Server two times? The team will take a look at your logs in the meantime.

@xtiva2000, @Osamu_SHIOTANI, I appreciate you following up. Please let us know in this thread if you continue to experience any issues on the affected Remote devices after testing.

Thanks Connor.

It has been 3 hours and so far so good… touch wood but yeah hopefully it stays this way :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Thanks Connor, had Roon Remote on my Windows PC for whole day, since 8 AM and now it is past 5 PM without having to restart the remote. Previous your fix, i would have had to restart remote numerous time by now.

Think you did the trick and problem seems to be resolved now.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m having the same problem since the last update (version 1.8, build 952) about week ago. Remote freezes and loading of artist and discography data stops. After restarting the remote it works again, for some time. My remotes are on a Macmini (Intel chip) and MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chip), both running macOS Monterey 12.4. The core runs on a Synology NAS in a Docker-container. Everything was running fine until the last update.

Thanks for looking into this.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Slow Performance on Windows Remote

this morning when trying to access an album Roon gets hung up for 20-30 seconds.
The timer graphic for music playing freezes. eventually the album is accessed and things resume

Just wanted to add my data point to the issue. I’m happy to run any specific diagnostics if needed.

• core is rock on a supported nuc
  • 2 macs both show the same issue with remote app. Both macs play to a different endpoint than themselves
  • 1 mac is wired, the other wireless. Both M1
  • I’ll find that roon music controls freeze in the remote app / can no longer find the album it was playing and I have to kill/reload the remote app frequently
  • music continues to play on the endpoint with no interruption
  • this issue is new as of the last update

I have tried the double core reboot, but the problem still persists

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini M1
Roon 1.8 952

Roon Software

@support

I have the latest Roon 1.8 952 software running on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and have found the Roon UI is regularly hanging e.g. completely unable to interact with the page, the currently playing track visually is stuck on previous tracks and I have to quit the app and restart it again. When I do this e.g. restart the app, the damned track stops playback as well.

This has been occurring for the last couple of releases, I’m sorry I haven’t reported earlier but I’ve got a little fed up of reporting software regressions with Roon.

This happens to me, too. I am running Remote on an iMac under Catalina 10.15.7. I can’t remember having experienced this freezing or hanging of the Remote before build 952, though. The problem occurs after listening for several hours, and after a restart of the Remote all is well again for some time. Will have to monitor the memory on the iMac to find out if this is somehow related to leaking memory…

Same here. This is the first release that I can remember that I need to close out the Roon Remote several times a day. Especially when viewing the queue (for me anyway). Pretty annoying. When this happens, the Status pages still work but anywhere else partially loads and then the Roon loading icon simply sits there twiddling. Seems like communication with the core is broken after a while and doesn’t reconnect. Doesn’t seem to happen when connecting to iPhone or other endpoints (smart TV) but I haven’t spent much time on those as of late.

1 Like

I suppose this is a regression bug introduced by the recent revamp of how Remotes establish connection with the Core… Let’s see if there is acknowledgment by Roon @support, so that this can be addressed in a future update.

I should add I’m running remote on iMac Big Sur (11.6.1) and the same Rock based core (unchanged for about a year) via wired ethernet.

For what it is worth: I run the Roon Core on an Intel NUC, but a client on a Mac. I had a lot of problems with Roon crashing, but since the latest macOS update, these problems have gone.
Maybe you should update to the latest macOS version, which is at the time I write this:
Monterey version 12.4.

Just saw that there are more users affected by this… There’s this thread… Looks like Roon is working on the bug…

I posted about this yesterday in the Build 952 Feedback thread, and there’s been a few replies since then. Just FYI in case it’s helpful.

Hi @SBI,

I am not quite sure that the two issues are the same or even related — for one, the memory leak described by yourself and others, and on the other hand, the sudden ‘hang’ or ‘freeze’ of the Remote App running on MacOS. I have been monitoring for the last couple of hours the memory use of the Remote running on my iMac, and as yet do not find evidence for leaking memory. Memory use goes up and down… I haven’t today experienced the Remote freezing, either… I’ll keep monitoring.