ROON Controller is having problems [Solved: Update to Build 970]

The first thing I always do is to reboot the server and the remotes. Turn off remotes. Reboot server. When server is back up. Reboot remote machine/device.

Well Martin
As long as we are being “Frank” this just started happening after being fine for months (perhaps this goes to my setup being fine?)In the end my setup is a basic Roon setup recommended by Roon
My low confidence of the current support model actually being able to adress such issues is borne from issues continuing for months, direct questions to Roon experts going ignored etc.I wish my past experience was different…but its not

But since you have asked:
Roon Nucleus + with recent RAM upgrade *done on Roons advice

Roon nuclues wired to an English Electric switch that is connected to an eero Router.

Nucleus connected via USB to external Hard Drive that contains 16 bit and 24 bit FLAC files.

Roon controller via IMAC desktop via WIFI.

The new contoller issue happens all the time and is rectified by closing and reopening the App.

Just another example:
Clicked on album<left for 30 min…when I returned the album had been accessed.
I went in to edit artist and when i clicked “save” its stuck and wont complete the save.

When i went back to the artists page all the albums are greyed out and only 5 greyed out albums are displayed instead of the 1000’s I have.

Music does not play when play pressed

When i close and reopen im able to play music.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel
Can always count on you
I shall try that
Thank you

Thanks Ian
I also think this started with the last upgrade

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue since last upgrade and also have a nucleus as core. Only happens on the Mac remote, works fine on iPhone

1 Like

Did some checking with my girlfriend in case she had a problem too. It’s only Mac app, iPhone, iPad and Android apps are fine.

I’ll reboot later just in case it’s my core on ROCK at fault.

Things definitely quicker after server reboot etc but original problem still exists
Thanks

I’ve moved this to Support, which may require the standard information on your system and network.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

ROCK on Intel Nuc i7 8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT Smarthub wired direct to ROCK

Connected Audio Devices

2 x Nest Audio pairs
1 x Google Home Max pair
2 x Google Hole Mini
3 x RPi 4 running Roon bridge on Dietpi via USB to DACs
1 x Apple TV

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After an indeterminate period of time the macOS app freezes during playback and stops showing track playing timeline.
Pressing play/pause does not work
Restarting the app fixes it.
All other remotes work fine.

Same thing here. Shutting down roon on Mac and restarting will get things going again, kinda awkward though.

1 Like

I feel like the Mac app is waiting and timing out on requests to the core (pure speculation of course), the squares waiting for images to load, the spinning Roon logo waiting for valence/recommendations to load, these all suggest a blocked connection.

When I press play to resume playback, it doesn’t work, but when I close Roon before restarting, the play request is received. As if during shutdown the blocking call is closed and the play request is made just before it’s all shutdown.

Anyway, this is frustrating as I need to play/pause a lot during the working day as calls come in, which this is disrupting. I’ll see if I can handle using the phone for the day until this is fixed.

1 Like

Hey @thomas_clark1, @Johnny_Maelstrom

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having these problems. We’ve aware of the issue and are investigating the cause. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we work on this.

Thomas, I’ve reviewed your support history and see that you’ve experienced some issues in the past. I don’t see any support requests that have been ignored, however. It seems that your initial post here was made in a category other than #support and moved here later. That can definitely cause a delay in our seeing it. Taking that into account, your wait hasn’t been extreme - certinaly not weeks and months as you stated.

We understand your frustration but want to mention that a couple of your posts here were flagged by your fellow forum members for being off-topic or violating forum guidelines. Let’s stay focused on the issue if we can. Decrying that support could care less, while we’re actively investigating logs for each customer who’s reporting this problem in this thread, is unhelpful and undermines our effort to remedy this issue.

2 Likes

Hi @thomas_clark1, @Johnny_Maelstrom, @Jens_Lagerqvist, @Anders_Annerstedt:

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about the issue. As @jamie mentioned, tech support has been investigating the issue and the Roon team is working diligently on a systemic solution.

In the meantime, we’ve adjusted a setting on your Core machines which may improve this behavior as a temporary workaround. Please take the following steps to activate the changes for your setups:

1. Restart both Roon and RoonServer on your Core machine twice.
  2. Restart the Mac Remote with the error
  3. Also restart any additional Remote devices (even non-Apple devices) to avoid glitches

Please note: you must fully restart your Core machine two times in order to implement the account change. The first restart downloads the settings change from Roon’s servers. The second restart applies the settings change to your device.

1 Like

Thanks for this
Will try

1 Like

@Connor Thanks, just implemented this and I’m now playing music.

2 Likes

Thank you
Over the course of my rocky Roon experience I have asked multiple direct questions of the folks from Roon (who I wont name) that were related to the troubleshooting process they recommended. The large majority -if not almost all of these reasonable questions went unanswered. This is what I meant that I was ignored.

I did have an issue that lasted months. This issue involved Dylan Caudill (?) who actually apologized for the amount of time it took. Brian Luczkiewicz has also acknowledged that the service I have recieved has not been great and that Roon was working on things to make it more responsiveto customers.Roon is a wonderful product but its service model could be better. I know I am not the only user who feels this way.

If you review my comments (which you say you have) you will find i have praised Roon staff members on multiple occasions. I dont ever recall saying “they dont care”. If I ever did say that I apologize sincerely and completely.

I will own up to the fact that I havent done well with Roons support system. It is a new experience for me to purchase a piece of equipment like a Nucleus + (not cheap) and be unable to get direct support within 48 hours. I dont mean a solution but at least an acknowledgement.
Containing my frustration, with this, is something I will do better at moving forward. You are correct. Expressing it does not help much.
I appreciate your note and I needed to hear much of what you said but I also would say your characterization of my conduct and service received is inaccurate.
Thank you again

Thanks for the adjustments.

I will do this over the weekend and get back to you.

I have performed the recommended steps.

When using my IMAC desktop controller with Nucleus + and external HD the following occurred.
I was able to navigate to the my artists page fairly easily (but not what I would characterize as quick)
After accessing the albums within an Artist I edited and saved changes to some of the Albums title etc.
these changes took about 20 -30 seconds to be completed.
After doing that twice when i navigated back to the Album lists the icons were all greyed out and I was unable to continue with my editing process. I could not scroll down to reveal the 1000’s of other albums that should have been displayed.
I have installed 32GB of memory recently into my nucleus at Roon’s recommendation. Just navigating between app functions seems to take longer than it should.
The changes recommended did at least allow me to access and edit 3 albums
Thank you

Music continued to play during all this but APP frozen with Display not reflecting the change of music or progress within that track
Thank you

Lastly,
App soon freezes when any functions engaged…navigation between tracks, albums , artists , etc
Thank You