ROON Controller is having problems [Solved: Update to Build 970]

Roon remote on Win10 by default is running quite slow from a few days ago (probably from the last update). Album artwork loading very slowly or not displaying at all. No workaround / solution until now…

Roon Core (version 1.8 build 952) running on Synology NAS DS3617XS. Albums about 11,000.
Roon Client (ver. 1.8 build 952-64bit) reinstalled with clean settings without change.

1 Like

Hmm looks like i wasn’t the only one having the issue…

Hopefully someone from Roon can assist this issue.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks! So far so good. Been playing music without issues for a couple of hours now and I can search for albums in Roon again without interupting the music on my dragonfly connected to the Mac.

1 Like

Hi Connor,

Can you kindly assist me with the workaround you have applied to other users to resolve issue with Remote?

Only difference is remote is running on Windows 10.

Thanks.

Hi @xtiva2000, @Csongor_Kovacs, @Osamu_SHIOTANI,

I appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. The team has mobilized internally to lock down a permanent fix. In the meantime, we’ve made a backend adjustment to your account settings which should restore your Remote’s functionality in the meantime. I’ve pasted instructions below for how to implement the change.

Further observations on Build 952

1. Roon/Roon Core are responsive on the Mac-mini ; at the same time the iOS continued to play - but it has “lost” the song it was playing and was completely unresponsive to any screen tap/d rag etc.
  2. It now takes 10 seconds to start up Roon (on a very rapid Macmini)

Honestly build 952 seems a massive step backwards (at least on Apple kit - both devices and core)

I read of someone in the Community applauding the “new” 2 weekly cycle.
I think its very poor indeed.
We all pay significant annual sums on money for Roon - and expect better than Build 952.

Dr Alan Whitfield

1 Like

Hey @alan_whitfield,

I moved your post here because what you’ve described sounds like this issue we’re currently investigating. Can you please us which remotes your experiencing this on? Device type, and OS, please. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hey @thomas_clark1,

I know this issue has tested your patience, and I appreciate you having brought it to our attention in this thread. Our tech support team is U.S.-based and was away for the holiday weekend, so it’s been a few days since we were able to circle back.

I wanted to clarify whether you’re still experiencing issues and the extent to which the backend change we made has improved the problem. We’re here to support, and any information will help us pinpoint and resolve the problem faster.

1 Like

Its much better for some reason.
When I edit a few albums in rapid succession it can stall/freeze when trying to go back to album list.
This fixed if i restart the controller
It maybe all the editing but the controller generally sorta sluggish going back and forth between different sections in controller (mainly entering an album track list and then back to album page)

I have rebooted my core (NUC / ROCK) twice.
I have resterted Roon Controls twice on my 2 Win10 PCs and an Android Tablet.

Thanks so much.

Have done what you have advised. Fingers crossed no more issue.

Hi,

After performing requested steps, nothing has changed related to Win10 Roon remote – still very slow and unusable.
Otherwise IOS Roon client is working properly…

Regards,
Csongor

Hi @Csongor_Kovacs, I’m sorry to hear the problem has persisted. To confirm, you restarted Roon and Roon Server two times? The team will take a look at your logs in the meantime.

@xtiva2000, @Osamu_SHIOTANI, I appreciate you following up. Please let us know in this thread if you continue to experience any issues on the affected Remote devices after testing.

Thanks Connor.

It has been 3 hours and so far so good… touch wood but yeah hopefully it stays this way :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Thanks Connor, had Roon Remote on my Windows PC for whole day, since 8 AM and now it is past 5 PM without having to restart the remote. Previous your fix, i would have had to restart remote numerous time by now.

Think you did the trick and problem seems to be resolved now.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m having the same problem since the last update (version 1.8, build 952) about week ago. Remote freezes and loading of artist and discography data stops. After restarting the remote it works again, for some time. My remotes are on a Macmini (Intel chip) and MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chip), both running macOS Monterey 12.4. The core runs on a Synology NAS in a Docker-container. Everything was running fine until the last update.

Thanks for looking into this.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Slow Performance on Windows Remote

this morning when trying to access an album Roon gets hung up for 20-30 seconds.
The timer graphic for music playing freezes. eventually the album is accessed and things resume

Just wanted to add my data point to the issue. I’m happy to run any specific diagnostics if needed.

• core is rock on a supported nuc
  • 2 macs both show the same issue with remote app. Both macs play to a different endpoint than themselves
  • 1 mac is wired, the other wireless. Both M1
  • I’ll find that roon music controls freeze in the remote app / can no longer find the album it was playing and I have to kill/reload the remote app frequently
  • music continues to play on the endpoint with no interruption
  • this issue is new as of the last update

I have tried the double core reboot, but the problem still persists

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini M1
Roon 1.8 952

Roon Software

@support

I have the latest Roon 1.8 952 software running on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and have found the Roon UI is regularly hanging e.g. completely unable to interact with the page, the currently playing track visually is stuck on previous tracks and I have to quit the app and restart it again. When I do this e.g. restart the app, the damned track stops playback as well.

This has been occurring for the last couple of releases, I’m sorry I haven’t reported earlier but I’ve got a little fed up of reporting software regressions with Roon.