ROON Controller is having problems [Solved: Update to Build 970]

I have the same issue on all Mac equipment. Roon Server on dedicate M1 Mac Mini. Roon client on Macbook Pro. Music continues but progress bar doesn’t move showing where in song and you can’t fast forward or stop music. It could be playing a song many songs after what is shown. Only solution is shut down Roon and restart.

I’m still getting freezes on the Mac remote. But I’m now also getting (slightly more occasional) freezes on my Android remote (my family use iOS devices but are not as heavy Roon users and I don’t think have experienced this behaviour yet). In both instances this happens after a period of not using the remote, and can usually be fixed by quitting and restarting the remote app in question

Hi Team,
GUI not responding randomly, I have to restart (close/open) the GUI so it could “reconnect” with the core.

Sometimes when restarting the GUI the music will stop playing, sometimes it will continue playing.
It has happened to me at least 5 times, to be honest event in the beta build before this one but until now I was able to capture it.

It may have to do with the huge queue I have and its been bigger than that the past month.

I have core and GUI logs let me know if you need them.

MacOS 12.4 core and GUI same machine does both roles.

1 Like

I have also experienced this issue, I’m expecting you are pointing to GUI as Roon Remote? :slight_smile:

I run core on Nucleus+, and Roon Remote on macOS 12.4.

yeah, in my case the Mac remote, haven’t tried any other remotes

Hi @mavmcl and @Tor_Gunnar_Berland,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about the issue. Tech support has been investigating the issue and the Roon team is working diligently on a systemic solution.

In the meantime, we’ve adjusted a setting on your Core machines which may improve this behavior as a temporary workaround. Please take the following steps to activate the changes for your setups:

1. Restart both Roon and RoonServer on your Core machine twice.
  2. Restart the Mac Remote with the error
  3. Also restart any additional Remote devices (even non-Apple devices) to avoid glitches

Please note: you must fully restart your Core machine two times in order to implement the account change. The first restart downloads the settings change from Roon’s servers. The second restart applies the settings change to your device.

2 Likes

I will do the restart twice - not able to test this until end of next week. I’m off to London :luggage:

I noticed that remote on macOS crashed when rebooting NUC with ROCK.

• Roon remote states it can not find Roon Core (as expected, it is rebooting)
  • I then get the jellyfish animation for a while before Roon Remote crashes (closes)
  • Starting Roon Remote on macOS again makes it work.

GUI response, initially this seems to work better now - leaving for London tomorrow morning, will test more when I’m back.

Edit:
I’m fairly sure the Roon Remote closes down by itself when not active… I keep needing to open it again, and I’m not closing the Roon Remote.

I believe it is us.

done, haven’t experienced the issue yet, I will monitor

1 Like

Experienced same today on Win client running on win 11 pro.

Hi @wizardofoz, we’re only making the account setting change as a workaround for users who are are experiencing the hanging behavior (while we work out a permanent fix).

@mavmcl, wonderful to hear connectivity is restored. Please keep us posted here.

@evand, thank you for reporting. The tech support team is going to have a look at logs to pin down if this is the same known issue. What was the make of the device on which you experienced the issue?

3 Likes

Asus Laptop

1 Like

and this afternoon the same story on a Pixel 2 XL (which is admittedly on its last legs)

Hi @evand,

We’ve made the same backend settings change to your account which has resolved the issue for other users (see previous post).

You’ll need to restart Roon and Roon Server on your Core two times in order to download and implement the settings change. For due diligence, it’s probably easiest to reboot your Core machine two times. I recommend you also restart your Remote devices before testing again.

Ideally, this will prevent the Remote issue in the meantime while we work out a permanent solution. Please let me know if it helps in your case, and we’ll be standing by.

Thanks Connor. Does restarting include letting the (pointless) startup scan complete before issuing the second restart of the core?

So after the two restarts I got this:

I changed no settings - @connor this relate to the changes made to my a/c?

@evand, that’s likely the settings change from our server being implemented on the Core. We’re curious to hear if your experience with either Remote device has improved at all in the meantime.

Hi @evand, @Tor_Gunnar_Berland,

I wanted to check in to see how performance was going on your Remote devices now that it’s been a few days since we implemented the account change.

Are you still experiencing any of the symptoms from your initial posts? The team is working on a permanent fix, but we’d be happy to continue to troubleshoot and try to resolve any residual issues in the meantime.