Roon Controller (W11) is slow to change songs and update info after changing songs after about 2 hours of use

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK on i7 NUC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon ROCK, NAS and UpTone Audio EtherREGEN switch all on SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch ports

Connected Audio Devices

Aqua LinkQ connected via Ethernet cable to UpTone Audio EtherREGEN switch

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’m running my main Roon Controller on a W11 NUC, it seems to work fine for the initial couple of hours I’m using it but then the lags begin when trying to manually change songs or browse thru the library. If I click on a different artist the Roon icon will pop up within the page like it’s searching, then after 30 to 60 seconds the artist page will load. If I then try to select an album by the artist, same lag in response. This all started about 7 to 10 days ago. Prior to that the only time I’d see the Roon icon on my screen was on the initial controller startup when it was locating the core. If I go to another W10 that has the Roon controller I don’t seem to get the delays. The PC in my listening room running Roon controller is the only PC on W11 but it’s my main Roon controller and I do 99.9% of my listening in that room using that Roon controller. Is there a W11 compatibility issue? Thx…Arthur

And had you changed anything around that time or not?

I’m running WIN 11 Roon server and Roon full install in parallel to also use the GUI - no slow downs or any other niggles here, but that’s on a fan-less desktop CPU configuration.

Unless it’s related to the hardware platform, it doesn’t seem to be a general WIN 11 issue.

Make sure your on build 970, the previous release had a very bad memory leak that was bad in windows 11. My remote would grind to a halt and crash after Browing and editing my library.

No, no changes that I’m aware of. There may have been a W11 update but I’m not sure. Incidentally, I upgraded the PC to W11 2 months ago and it worked fine until last week. I’m on the current Roon build (1.8 Build 970) and I’m still having the same issues, perhaps to a lesser degree, but it’s still happening.

I thought this was the process to open a ticket with Roon support yet I’ve received no response from Roon support.

Let’s ping them to get the pros involved:
@support, any pointers for the man, please?

OK, I’m confused. I thought I’d followed the instructions to open a ticket with support but I’m getting no response from them. This issue is becoming worse. Last night I could stream from my NAS, with lags but was unable to stream Tidal or Qobuz at all. Roon is becoming unusable and support seems to be nonexistent.

Yeah sure, you’ve been doing it just the right way.
Pinging them sometimes seems to help direct their attention to the issue - tons of requests, but a handful of support staff are completely swamped…
Good luck
:four_leaf_clover:

OK, this is not the type of support I expected when I paid a butt load of money for a lifetime Roon license.

Hey @Arthur_Ott,

Thank you for taking the time to write in, it’s great to see you in the community again! You also have my sincerest apologies for the delay in my response. Due to some internal changes in, a handful of threads have slipped through the cracks. That said, let’s dig right in and see how we can get this issue sorted out.

The next thing to test would be to get a fresh database going on your Windows 11 NUC. Here are the steps to execute this:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

1 Like

I will try this but it may be the weekend before I have time to do so. I’m a little confused. There is a database folder within the Roon folder on my W11 machine but my backups are scheduled to backup to a shared folder on one of my NAS units (not the same NAS where the music library resides). I believe you’re talking about renaming the Roon folder on the W11 machine to Roon-old before reinstalling the Roon App on the W11 machine as the Roon App reinstall will create a new Roon folder. Will it also create a new database on the W11 machine? I assume I’ll have to re-configure the new Roon App, specify where the Music Library is located, reconfigure where to store backups, reconfigure my 4 Roon Endpoint settings, and any tweaks I’ve made to the way I want Roon to operate. This is going to be time-consuming. Is it going to maintain my newly added albums as it is currently or is it going to think the entire library was newly added? Thx…Arthur

Hey @Arthur_Ott,

Yes, go ahead and follow the steps to set up a fresh database on your W11. Once you reconnect to your ROCK core again all your music and Core settings will be returned. You may have to reconfigure any zones attached to your W11 though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.