Roon Core build 898 crashes changing View Sorting Order , when playing via HQPlayer

Description My Setup

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

• Pinkfaun 2.16X Server, running on Audiolinux, AMD 7 3700 processor, 16GB RAM, 1 HD Samsung SSD 250GB for Roon + 2nd HD Samsung 4TB SSD for local music
  • Roon version 1.8 build: 898
  • HQPlayer: HQPlayer Embedded 4.28.2

Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

• iPad Air 2 – 64GB - running iPadOS 14.4 - Roon build: 898
  • Samsung S10e – running Android version 11 kernel 4.14.113-20607146 – Roon version 1.8 build: 795
  • PC running Windows 11 Home - 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz Ram 16GB, Roon version 1.8 build: 898

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

• Ethernet & Wifi Mesh network built on 3 * Asus Zenwifi XT8
  • Connected to Service Provider modem
  • Speedtest connection speed ethernet 93Mbps download – 18Mbps upload
  • Roon Core connected via ethernet, Remote PC connected via ethernet
  • Mobile Remotes connected via Wifi

Audio devices in use

• T+A 8 DSD connected to Roon Core, using HQPlayerEmbedded, connected via USB
  • Endpoints : 1 * Cambridge Audio CXN v2 , connected via ethernet

Library details

• Local library on separate internal 14TB + 12 TB SSD harddisks in Roon Server
  • Qobuz Hi-fi Sublime streaming service
  • 64321 tracks (4704 albums – 2636 local, 2068 Qobuz)

Backup details

• Location 1 : USB disk connected to Core Machine - 2GB capacity
  • Location 2 : Synology NAS 10,8 TB capacity
  • Location 3 : USB disk connected to Synology NAS - 7,2 TB capacity

Start situation:
Viewing Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Albums ‘From My Library’ sorted by ‘Release Date’
Album playing : Violin Concerto in D
Endpoint : Thinkpad (Windows 11 laptop - Roon Remote)

With this ‘Thinkpad’ endpoint, I can change the Sorting Order (to e.g. Title ) and back without any issues, regardless if music is actually playing or not.

Now the problem:
During playing to HQPlayerEmbedded (on the same machine as Roon Core) , Roon core crashes when I change the Album Sorting Order, and never recovers:

Restart Roon Server required to get going again.
Repeatable!!!

Dirk

Hey @Dirk_De_Taey,

Thanks a lot for documenting the behavior this thoroughly :pray:

I was wondering, does this happen anytime you change the sort order, or just with this particular album?

I’d really like to take this to our technical team. Could you please:

• restart your Roon Core
  • reproduce the behavior as explained above
  • share with us the local date and time & the track you were playing when the crash happened
  • zip up the entire logs folder and upload it to our drive

Also, could you please confirm: if HQPlayerEmbedded is not enabled, Roon does not crash, correct?

Hey Beka

Thanks for coming back to me.

Trying to follow your instructions, Murphy is joining the party, as I cannot reproduce the problem today.
Whilst last week, I encountered it several times in a row, involving a complete restart of the server each time.

As I have no clue what is different today compared to last week, I propose to close this topic.

If I would encounter this issue again, I will enter a new support request.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend

Dirk

Hey @Dirk_De_Taey,

For once, Murphy’s meddling comes on time — over the weekend :sweat_smile:

Enjoy the music, and, please, let us know if this returns. The initial steps would be the ones I posted above :relieved:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.