Roon Core Crash upon Invocation

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 2004 build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

hard wired via gige into manged switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

Setup a roon core at my vacation house. Set it to scan library and it scanned for a while and died. tried again and it completes scan but is still doing library creation in the backgroud. Now anytime I invoke roon it comes up for anywhere between 10 and 60 seconds and then just crashes. No dialog box or anything. The GUI just disaprears
? How do we debug this? Is there a debug log somwhere to show whats going?

How does one get support from Roon. I am paying customer and there seems to be no way to contact support via email or phone and no one is responding here.

Sean

So what do you do when you post a question on the support forum and no one replies. This seems absurd that I’m paying $120 and can’t get help on a fatal crash?

Sean

Hi @Sean_Smith2,

I apologize for the difficulties you are having here, and I appreciate your feedback about our support process.

We sometimes hear from people wondering about phone support, email support, or other more traditional methods, and we almost always win them over by resolving problems here every day. I can tell you that we stand behind our products and our support 100%.

Every support thread on this site is tracked by someone on our staff, and they frequently loop in senior staff or developers for feedback. Nearly everyone in our company spends time on this site. We strive to respond to all requests for support within one business day.

Moving forward with your issue, would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for replying.

Here are the logs requested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/115qBXsJs-ElgB2Q6Lw4uOgTeQUhFuHke/view?usp=sharing

Sean

How many @Sean_Smith1 @Sean_Smith2 do we need here?

1 Like

Hi @Sean_Smith1,

It looks like we need approval to access the files, can you please grant access to them and let me know once you have done so? Thanks!

Sorry I fixed the permissions. Please try this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/115qBXsJs-ElgB2Q6Lw4uOgTeQUhFuHke/view?usp=sharing

Sean

1 Like

Hi @Sean_Smith2,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I took a look through them but unfortunately not much info is contained in them regarding a crash.

It is possible that this is Windows triggering Roon to shut down before Roon has had a chance to write anything to the logs, this is what is called an “unmanaged crash”.

I suggest that we try to reinstall Roon on the Windows machine to see if this helps, can you please:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the fresh database operates as expected for a day or two
  • Restore from backup created in step 1

I don’t care about the database since this is new install. But I will re-install and re-initialize library as you suggest. Surprised the exception handler in your code is not flushing out open files etc but I understand what you are saying.

Sean

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.