Roon Core Crashing Daily

Roon Core Machine

Mac Studio M1 Max, 32GB RAM, 1TB internal storage; Roon 2.0 (1193)
Library on Synology Diskstation 218+ NAS; SW V# 7.1.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus ZenWifi XT8 Mesh primary and secondary routers;
Primary: hardwired to modem; other connections via TPLink 8 port gigabit switch in machine closet
Secondary: hardwired to Primary using gigabit ethernet backhaul; direct connection; no switch
Core: Hardware to primary router
All cabling is cat 6

Connected Audio Devices

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge endpoint: hardwired to secondary router; also USB connection direct to core (2 distinct connections showing under audio sources (net, USB) both enabled.
Bluesound Node 2i: hardwired to primary router
ARC: over wifi at home; 5g mobile
All endpoints running same Roon build as core; ARC is must up to date version

Number of Tracks in Library

19,000+ tracks; 13K roughly on Synology NAS; 6K on Tidal

Description of Issue

Roon core on MacStudio is crashing daily with crash reports coming up on screen. Have saved recent and can upload.

Seems to happen most frequently when idle (no active streams or activities).

Let me know if I can upload a crash report to be reviewed.

Would love an answer to this.

Hey @Chris_Furia,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! And I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with your Mac core crashing. What OS are you currently running on the Mac?

If possible, could you share the crash report generated by Apple? You can upload the report here. We’re currently working on a known issue with Roon crashing on some Mac cores running Ventura.

Depending on what the crash report shows, we do have a workaround many users have found useful while we work on this known issue. The workaround involves temporarily running Roon Server rather than the full Roon app. You can read more about this here:

Roon 2.0 - Crashing on MacOS due to “.NET ThreadPool Worker” [Roon Investigating] - #68 by ged_hickman1.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Thanks Benjamin

I’ll upload later when i’m back home.

Only downside with running Roon Server is I’m using the core as an endpoint as well to play music in my office.

Crash report now uploaded. Will save the next one and upload it as well.

Hey @Chris_Furia,

Thanks for uploading! No need to upload any additional reports. Based on the report you’ve shared, you are experiencing the known crashing issue we’re currently working on.

Roonserver comes with RAAT included so you could definitely still use the Mac as an endpoint, you’d just need another device to use as a remote, to control things!

Thanks. Server is up and running but for my use case, having core and control on the same computer is ideal. Any ETA on fixing the software bug? Will there be notification of the remedy when it is released?

Hey @Chris_Furia,

I hear you there, it can be a pain not having things setup in their ideal setting. I don’t have an ETA yet, but this case is considered high priority and is currently in development.

Outside of me following up with an update on the thread, you can also track new items via our release notes on community:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.