Roon Core crashing frequently since a couple weeks

Roon Core Machine

Rockna Wavedream NET 2TB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Rockna Wavedream NET is connected to TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Switch which is connected to Verizon Fios Modem/Router.

Connected Audio Devices

Rockna Wavedream NET is connected to the DAC with Coax SPDIF.

Number of Tracks in Library

Local library is very small containing less than 100 tracks. Mostly using Roon with Qobuz for streaming.

Description of Issue

Roon core keeps crashing in the middle of playback and restarts. Often it will just restart in a few seconds and get back to where the playback was. Sometimes it doesn’t get back to the playback screen. I looked at the logs and saw this at the end of the stack trace from the latest crash. I tried to attach the full logs but couldn’t in this thread.

03/05 20:01:54 Critical: scx: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Library.CreateChannel(Station channel, Boolean persist)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.<RealizeStations>b__35_0(Station x)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectArrayIterator`2.ToArray()
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.RealizeStations(StationsContainer container)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<<BrowseChannels>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__128_0(Object state)
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread._Dispatch(SendOrPostWrapper& ret)
03/05 20:01:54 Debug: [easyhttp] [32] GET to https://api.roonlabs.net/internetradio/2/api/stations/all?count=100&sortby=popular&location=auto&maxDistance=100&format=msgpack& returned after 199 ms, status code: 200, request body size: 0 B
03/05 20:01:55 Critical: scx: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Library.CreateChannel(Station channel, Boolean persist)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.<RealizeStations>b__35_0(Station x)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectArrayIterator`2.ToArray()
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.RealizeStations(StationsContainer container)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Radio.Module.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<<BrowseChannels>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__128_0(Object state)

Hey @Karan_Govil,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, as well as the detail included in your post! As a first step, I’d be curious to see if crashing occurs on a fresh Roon database. Be sure to test things before restoring from a recent backup. Steps to follow below:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi @benjamin,

Thanks for getting back to me.

This is from a Roon client on a Windows machine. I followed the first link to get to the WebUI but I don’t see the “Configure Roon OS Core” option in the Setup menu. Instead I have the “Find Roon OS” option. When I click on that, I get a pop-up which just keeps searching for Roon OS Core but doesn’t find anything even though my Core is obviously turned on.

I then tried just putting the ip address in a browser to get to the web UI but when I do, I get the UI of Rockna settings which has the option to turn off/restart the Roon server. But I can’t browse the filesystem from there. The only place I can see the filesystem is from the backup menu of Roon client settings.

I was going through logs again and noticed another error:

03/05 20:01:51 Critical: scx: LevelDb.Exception: IO error: /var/roon/RoonServer/Database/Core/35b15c00d5764784b4f35c76d650c920/broker_4.db/003163.ldb: No space left on device
   at LevelDb.Database._CheckError(IntPtr err)
   at LevelDb.Database..ctor(String path)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Database..ctor(String dbdir)
   at Sooloos.Broker.State.<>c__DisplayClass147_1.<NotifyIsLoggedIn>g__Finish|1(Boolean vacuum)
   at Sooloos.Broker.State.<>c__DisplayClass147_0.<NotifyIsLoggedIn>b__0()
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread.<>c__DisplayClass45_0.<Post>b__0(Object _)

I had bought the Rockna NET used and it looks like the previous owner incorrectly put backups and some data on the server drive and I wonder if that drive is running low on disk space. Is there any way to delete backups from Roon interface since I don’t have access to filesystem otherwise? I see that it says “cleanup” existing backups but I don’t see any option to delete when I open the filesystem browser.

In some old posts in the forum I think I saw there used to be a backup manager that would let you delete old backups. Is that option gone now?

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. I have been trying to get help from Rockna guys but haven’t had much success. Ideally I would just want a factory reset on the server but I can’t find any such option.

Hey @Karan_Govil,

Thank you for the additional details here! And my apologies on sharing the incorrect database refresh steps. You’ve done some great investigative work, as that critical error does look to be related to your hypothesis.

Here are the proper steps on freshing the database from a windows core:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Let me know how things run after going through the above. :pray:

Hi @benjamin,

Apologies for the super late reply but I was doing some back and forth with Rockna guys and I was finally able to clean the disk space on the Roon core so I am hoping that should solve the problem.

The main problem was that the problematic files were somehow copied on the root directory on the filesystem so they were not being deleted even when reinstalling Roon so I had to get the Rockna guys help to get into the system and delete those files.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.