Roon core crashing on iMac

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
iMac running Catalina 10.15.5
3.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB
Roon core Version 1.7 Build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear Orbi AC3000 with 2 satellites. I’ve tried wired and unwired, neither seems to matter.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Teac NT-505 USB DAC.

Description Of Issue
I’m using Roon mainly for streaming Tidal and Qobuz but have some music stored on a NAS that’s wired into the network. There’s very little on the NAS.

Roon crashes multiple times a day. It used to crash only every few days, now daily.

Thanks in advance.

Hello @Quicksilver, and thanks for your report! Have you noticed any patterns to the crash? Is this when you start Roon? When the mac goes to sleep?

The only pattern is it started to happen a lot over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I can even be on that computer using Roon and it will crash.

Thanks!

Hello @Quicksilver, next time the crash occurs, can you please reply here with a timestamp (your local time) and what action you were doing when it happened or what song was playing at the time? From there, we can enable diagnostics for your account and take a look.

It would also be a good idea to try a reinstall now to see if that helps, thanks!

It crashed when I was doing nothing. Not listening, not using the computer, nothing. I have the crash report it sends to Apple if that helps.

Hello @Quicksilver, have you had a chance to reinstall? Also, could you please upload a copy of the apple logs here? Please also use the directions found here to upload a copy of logs from Roon. Thanks!

The link to upload shows invalid.

Hello @Quicksilver, my apologies. We generally set those links to expire in 7 days so we can keep our storage clean, but here’s a new copy set for 14 days!

I uploaded the Apple logs to the link. I had previously sent everything you asked for to your private message or whatever you call it here. Also, one of my other Macbooks that I run Roon Remote had a fan going crazy. I looked at the Activity Monitor and it showed Roon using 289% CPU. Roon is a mess for Macs. Is there any other way to get help other than these forums. It takes weeks to troubleshoot this way so it’s horribly inefficient.

I did reinstall Roon Core also. No change.

Anything? How about a person I can talk to on the phone?

So 2 weeks and no help? Who charges people for a complicated product like Roon and doesn’t support it? I saw a previous post that there are like 4 people supporting Roon and the rest is community members. For $120 a year I would expect to be able to talk to people. My Roon crashes multiple times a day. I’ve done what was asked and furnished what was asked and get nothing in return. This audio industry is too small to treat customers poorly. I would never recommend Roon to anyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.