Roon Core Crashing Regularly on OSX Ventura 13.2 [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini Pro running Ventura 13.2 (22D49). Apple M2 Pro/10 core, 16 GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mix of WiFi and Ethernet via 2 Asus routers. No VPN no switches.

Roon remote software in Macbook pro and iPhone to access Core.

Connected Audio Devices

Wifi connection IFI streamer + Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

About 150. Mostly used with Tidal.

Description of Issue

App runs fine on Mac (set not to go to sleep) for a while, but next time I come to use it the Roon app running Core is frozen. It happened before I added any tracks to library (internal SSD drive). The computer is new, the operating system fresh and Roon Core was one of the first things I added.

I sent the report three times at least, maybe four, through the OS with it set to notify devs.

1 Like

Getting pretty frustrated. A paid software service with no direct support isn’t filling me with confidence here. Product is useless right now. Time to end subscription I guess and figure out another solution.

Ian support usually take a few days to get to requests due to work load and being a small team. They only work Monday to Friday as well.

If you running Roon server or the full fat all in one Roon app. If you do some searches you will see a number of other users with the same issue running full Roon. From what I read in the past, running Roon server as a dedicated app is the best solution and then use the Mac Roon Remote app to control it as it does on a phone or tablet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was running the full-fat Mac app. I couldn’t find any documentation on using the server, but flailed my way into it after uninstalling and deleting the app, then reinstalled the app to use as remote.

I’ll see how it goes and report back later.

When support gets to this, it might be worth adding doing some documentation on using the server on the todo list. The only way I knew it was working as the core was by quitting it as a track played.

Yes I think it could be more clear and this seems to sometimes happen on PC and Mac.
I run my Roon Core on Rock having tried Windows, Mac and Synology.
Definitely the most set it and forget it option as it is on 24/7.
But there are many users here using Mac and Windows as servers and many of them (but not all) find the Server only component to be most reliable option.
Good luck with testing this out

Hey @Ian_Wright,

Thanks for your patience while we work through each thread.

Do you by chance have a copy of the crash report that has been sent to Apple? Based on that report, we’d be able to see if it aligns with the current issue our developers are working on a fix for, or not.

Here is a good help article on making the switch to Roon Server:

Hi Benjamin, I posted about the issue 12 days ago, so no, I don’t have a copy of the crash report. I figured nobody cared after a few days waiting. And I’ve already switched over to Roon server.

You might want to create a way for people to contact you that isn’t a forum if you’re not going to pay attention to it. A little bit of communication goes a long way, even if it’s “Hey, we got your communication and are looking into it/someone will be in touch shortly.”

1 Like

Hey @Ian_Wright,

Thanks for letting me know. Without a copy of the crash report there won’t be a way to definitely say your issue is linked to the known issue we’re working on. That said, if Roon server is functioning properly, that may be a good indication.

Thanks for your input on Roon support as well. I’ll be sure to pass this feedback along. :+1:

I’ll keep you updated as things progress.

Since Roon 2 was released, my Roon core on macOS Ventura is not working. I get spinning wheel after the core runs for a while, and than it completely crashes. Tried Roon backup, clean install of macOS Ventura, restore backup, and every time the same, not working. It is very frustrating, because it’s my only Mac desktop where I can run my Roon core. Recently, i installed macOS Monterey (previous macOS version), and tested Roon 2 core, and it works flawlessly.
It is very frustrating that I cannot use the latest macOS operating system with Roon core.

@Brain-Proxy, can you please provide the additional information requested below? The Roon staff and Community don’t have all the details to better support your question:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Roon Core Machine
Apple iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon PRo 580 8GB

Router: Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine
Switch: Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8
WiFi AP: Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD
Roon Core iMac is connected directly to Dream Machine Ethernet port.

Connected Audio Devices

1. Krell Digital Vanguard, connected to Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 via Ethernet
  2. Bluesound Powernode 2i, connected to Ubiquity UniFi AP nanoHD via WiFi

My Roon core has 62.000 tracks

Description of Issue
Since Roon 2 was released, my Roon core on macOS Ventura is not working. I get spinning wheel after the core runs for a while, and than it completely crashes. Tried Roon backup, clean install of macOS Ventura, restore backup, and every time the same, not working. Recently, I tried installing macOS Monterey (previous macOS version), and tested Roon 2 core, and it works flawlessly.

What version of Roon are you using on the Core, Build 1223? There have been reports of Roon being unstable on some MacOS Ventura systems occurring since November:

While extremely annoying, it is not consistent across all installations (e.g… I have Ventura on a 2019 MBPro without and don’t have any issues with Roon 2.0). One recommendation would be to monitor these threads and the updates for any resolution and maintain Monterey for the timebeing.

Yes, I am always using the latest build (1223 currently)

Also having this issue. Since installing the most current macOS, Ventura, in mid-February, Roon core running on my Mac Mini has routinely crashed. Sometimes Roon will run for an hour or two, sometimes (today) it will crash within moments of restarting.

Roon Core Machine
Mac Mini 2018 3.6 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i3, 8GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM, wired Ethernet
120 GB SSD, 93GB used
Music stored on external Samsung T5 500 GB SSD, 180 GB used
Running Roon Version 2.0 (build 1234)

Verizon FiOS Internet router CR1000A, wired (Ethernet) to Mac Mini and music streamers

Connected Audio Devices

• Holo Audio Red streamer (Roon bridge), wired Ethernet
  • Holo Audio May DAC KTE Tuned Edition, connected to Holo Audio Red streamer via I2S, AES, USB and SPDIF coax
  • Pi 2 Design Mercury streamer (Roon bridge), wired Ethernet
  • Oppo BDP-203, connected to Pi 2 Design Mercury streamer via SPDIF coax
  • Pi 2 Design Pi2AESmusic streamer (wired Ethernet) running only for local mini video display of track that is playing; not connected to a DAC.

~7,000 Tracks on external Samsung T5 SSD (not including Tidal tracks flagged for Roon library)

Description of Issue
Roon has run on the Mac Mini without a hitch for 4 years, until I installed Roon 2 and updated to macOS Ventura about a month ago. Roon initially would not run at all after Ventura 13.2 was installed, but eventually did run (because of further Roon updates?), though still somewhat unstable. When I installed the latest macOS update, 13.2.1 (22D68) on March 18 or 19 (this weekend), right back to big issues with Roon. Sometimes it runs for 10-15 minutes, sometimes it crashes immediately (shuts itself off or freezes into the spinning pinwheel requiring a Force Quit).

Both streamers are Roon ready bridges. All software and firmware on both streamers are up to date.

I can supply (email) text file of the last five crash reports from the Console utility. Not sure how to upload here. Here’s a (link to a) screenshot of one of the most recent crash reports:

In a terminal, you can simply select the text, right-click > Copy, and paste it here

1 Like

Hi @Brain-Proxy and @Douglas_Stearns,

Thank you for your diligent reporting and we’re very sorry to hear you’re experiencing an issue with Ventura.

For context, there were changes to the audio kernel made by Apple in OSX 13.0. For users on Mac Cores, two major symptoms have been reported:

1. Temporary loss of all audio output on the Mac, even outside of Roon. Audio outputs disappeared from Audio Midi Setup. This was unrelated to Roon and appears to have resolved - albeit without much context - with the release of 13.1. Anecdotally, this appeared limited to Apple ARM (M1 and above) computers. There were wide reports in the pro and consumer audio community, but these have settled down in the last two months. It’s unlikely to be your issue if you’re experiencing problems now.

2. Roon crashing on 13.0 and above. This is likely the issue you’re encountering and is a high priority ticket for our QA and development teams.

The workaround for the second issue is to install RoonServer in the place of Roon. Most users - although not all - have reported this to relieve symptoms or improve them. To do so without retaining the problematic Roon install, please take the following steps:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Note that replacing Roon with RoonServer will disable Roon’s GUI on your Mac computer - it’s just the “guts” of Roon, without the user component. You will need to control Roon from an additional Remote.

Please accept the assurances of the team that we’re working tirelessly to resolve this issue. If you experience additional managed crashes, feel free to upload your crash reports to our Log Server here after zipping them up at your convenience.

Hopefully, the workaround stabilizes your system in the meantime. We’ll report back with updates as soon as they are available. While your frustration is justified, your patience is not overlooked.

2 Likes

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini M1

Google Nest Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

(RP4 with Ropiee XL with USB to DAC)

Description of Issue

Well, the Roon core has worked well for a long time on my Mac Mini. The last week or two, I have gotten up in the morning to find Roon has crashed and there is an Apple crash report on the screen. Something like 4 or 5 times. Each time I restart it and it seems to work OK. I haven’t fiddled with the Mini in quite some time so I suppose the only change is the latest Roon update.

Copy and post the Apple crash report?

Well, another surprise. This morning Roon crashed again. But this time it was my remote player (an iMac) but the core was still running. Note that only Roon was affected in both cases.

Here’s the Apple report — the last line keeps repeating so I excluded it.

This time, also…my local node (Google Nest router) was offline. I had to reboot it. I suspect something is up with the node.

Translated Report (Full Report Below)

Process: Roon [89834]
Path: /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon
Identifier: com.roon.Roon
Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-03-13 19:50:49.6076 -0400
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 7.2 (20P3045)
Anonymous UUID: 70CC14DF-06C9-D312-86F9-E1A5CDDC174F

Time Awake Since Boot: 300000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 30 .NET ThreadPool Worker

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff8032515c2 mach_msg2_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff80325f604 mach_msg2_internal + 82
2 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff803258635 mach_msg_overwrite + 723
3 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff8032518a8 mach_msg + 19
4 CoreFoundation 0x7ff80336bcbe __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 145
5 CoreFoundation 0x7ff80336a72a __CFRunLoopRun + 1360
6 CoreFoundation 0x7ff803369b60 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 560
7 ??? 0x1148b2105 ???
8 ??? 0x115279c69 ???
9 ??? 0x1142fa968 ???
10 ??? 0x1141c57b7 ???
11 ??? 0x1102c185c ???
12 libcoreclr.dylib 0x1083be5e9 CallDescrWorkerInternal + 124
13 libcoreclr.dylib 0x10820a98a MethodDescCallSite::CallTargetWorker(unsigned long const*, unsigned long*, int) + 1530
14 libcoreclr.dylib 0x10820a98a MethodDescCallSite::CallTargetWorker(unsigned long const*, unsigned long*, int) + 1530
15 libcoreclr.dylib 0x10820a98a MethodDescCallSite::CallTargetWorker(unsigned long const*, unsigned long*, int) + 15

Seems like this known issue, thread with Roon investigation: