Roon Core Drops Connection Constantly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i7BEH running ROCK v1.7 build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet into Google Wifi access point (not connected directly to primary access point)
Motorola MB7621 cable modem
Streaming mostly from Tidal with some files stored on a SSD in the NUC

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord Poly/Mojo
RPI3/Allo DigiOne
iPhone X
All with latest updates and all used over wifi

Starting after the update to build 571, Roon has connectivity issues and drops the signal every few minutes. This happens irrespective of bit rate (lower resolution files too). I had a very solid connection before the update but now it’s unusable. I have no problem streaming directly from Tidal to the iPhone and Mojo/Poly so I don’t think it’s an internet connectivity issue. This is confirmed by the Google wifi app which shows strong broadband at all access points. Please let me know how to resolve the issue.

Having similar problem using Windows core and endpoint.

Hi @Robert_Brown1,

What are the exact symptoms you’re seeing here, can you please be a bit more specific?
Does the music playback just stop? Do your Roon Remotes get disconnected and you’re presented with the “Searching for Core” screen?

What happens if you try to start the output to your iPhone’s internal speaker? Do you still notice issues for this zone as well? You can enable the iPhone speaker output under Roon Settings -> Audio when using the iPhone Roon app.

Music playback stops. Sometimes it re-starts after a second or two, or it just drops completely. Sometimes I get the “searching for Core” screen, but not always.

Testing this now and will report back.

Also, sometimes after the music stops the core can’t find either the iPhone or the Poly and I have to re-open the Roon app and/or restart the Core.

Having tested this for an hour or so, running the iPhone and Poly zones at the same time, I can report that the poly dropped connection 4 times and the iPhone only once when playing through the phone speaker. When I use AirPod Pros with the iPhone zone it seems to drop out more frequently. After the music stops, with both zones I get the “lost connection” message and sometimes the core won’t find either device unless I restart the app and/or the core. It’s a bit inconsistent though.

What does that mean?

Sounds to me like WiFi is involved here in the core connection and to the devices playing and that’s likely going to be a problem…mesh WiFi just won’t cut it in some places and setups

Why not put the rock setup at the router side on the Ethernet

Perhaps a drawing of what’s connected to what is going to help you and us see where this possibly having an issue

WiFi is not an equally balanced transmission and can be very good in one direction and hopeless in the other

This has only been an issue since the last build was introduced. Worked like a dream before and nothing else has changed.

The NUC is connected vie ethernet to a Google wifi mesh router but not the one that is connected directly to the router as I don’t have enough available connections there

As an update, I changed some things around and connected the NUC directly to the primary wifi access point (connected directly to the modem). It does seem to have improved the situation. I’ll monitor it and will report back.

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Brown1,

Thanks for the update here! Do let us know how the progress is with the NUC connected directly to the router.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.