Roon Core goes black with new NVIDIA drivers when resizing/moving

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Happens on two devices:

1: Running Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.508
on AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU
NVIDIA RTX 2070 with latest NVIDIA drivers 456.38

2: Running Windows 10 (unsure what build)
Intel i7-8750H
NVIDIA RTX 2060 with latest NVIDIA drivers 456.38

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Happens on multiple devices on Wifi and Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt mostly, but not relevant

Description Of Issue

After updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers on both machines running Roon Core, trying to resize or move the Roon Core window breaks it completely as it goes completely black and is, obviously, unusable. Here is it when I open it:

And if I press the resize window button in the top right, or try to move the window, or really change the window in any way, it becomes this:

Moving to second monitor does nothing, maximising the window again does nothing, the only option is to restart Roon. Additionally there will be occasional rendering errors with buttons and the like (the select zone button will sometimes go weird and multicoloured briefly etc). Since this obviously only has started happening after I updated NVIDIA drivers, that is the most likely culprit.

Hi @Hong_An_Le,

Welcome to the forum!
Do you by any chance recall which driver version you had previously (that did work)?
Can you access your Roon logs by using these instructions and share a set?

Can’t recall that, sorry, but it was probably 452.22 (i.e. the second most recent driver) as I tend to keep all my drivers very up to date. Dropbox links for the logs for both machines/cores are:

When I mentioned

This sort of thing is what I meant:

Thanks for sending the logs over, @Hong_An_Le! They’re with our team for analysis now and we’ll follow up soon!

Hello @Hong_An_Lee,

Thanks for your patience while our team looked into this further! We have tried to reproduce your findings using that driver version with a 2080 in the lab, but we were unable to do so.

Our team has inquired, are you by any chance using any overlay software like MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX? If you are using overlay software, can you please try to temporarily disable it and see if the issue persists?

Disabling MSI Afterburner does indeed seem to solve the problem, thank you very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @Hong_An_Le,

Thanks for letting us know that disabling MSI Afterburner resolved this behavior!
If you experience any other issues or difficulties with Roon, please just let us know!