Roon Core hangs after importing ≈ 30k tracks and will not quit

I have pointed my Core at a Music folder on my NAS (one that has only about one-third of my music in it). It dutifully starts Adding Tracks to Library. But it stalls when it hits roughly 30,000 tracks identified. Music will continue to play, but no more tracks are added, no matter how long I wait. These are all LPCM files, mostly in Apple Lossless format.

At this point, if I try to quit Roon, the window closes but the application remains open on some level. It shows up when I Control-Tab in Mac OS, for example. It does not respond to a Force Quit command. It even prevents the machine from Shutting Down. Instead, I have an endlessly-spinning clock icon. I have to do a Hard Reboot to get my machine back.

When I restart the process, it is not clear to me whether it picks up from where it had gotten stuck, or simply starts over from the beginning.

I am running Roon Core on a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with 16 GB RAM, on macOS Sierra 10.12.1. Screenshots uploaded (note the time stamps).

Is there anything else I can provide you to help troubleshoot the problem? I can do a screen capture movie of this behavior if that would help.

Hi @Jon_Herron ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the trouble here. Can you please provide the make and model of the NAS you are using?

Furthermore, can you please provide a description of your network configuration/ topology, as well as providing some insight into and networking hardware you may be implementing.

Lastly, can you verify how you are mounting the NAS in Roon (IP address?) and if you can successfully access the NAS drive via finder on the MAC core without issue.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

The NAS is a Synology DS1515+ which mounts easily on the Finder’s desktop. (In fact, it was mounted the last time my core locked up.) I have the Core pointed at a folder within my larger Music NAS volume. This folder is 1.18 TB and has 36,942 LPCM files. The Core is pointed to smb://10.0.1.4/music/PCM Music.

The network is as follows:

cable modem–>Apple 3TB Time Capsule–>TP Link GB Ethernet switch (8 ports)–>Synology DS1515+ via 4x Bonded Ethernet links (4000 Mbps theoretical). My Laptop running the Core is usually connected via both Ethernet (from the switch) and WiFi, with Ethernet having priority in my Network settings.

The Time Capsule serves both as router and as WiFi access point.

Note that my Roon Core has hung again, this time at 21,047 Added and Identified. However, the NAS is completely responsive from the Finder.

Does any of this help?

-Jon

Hi @Jon_Herron ----- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback, bot are appreciated. I would like to gather some logs from you and will be contacting you momentarily via PM with instructions.

-Eric