Roon core high cpu when laptop screen is off

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 1909. Lenovo laptop with 500gb ssd, newest roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi connection - problem also there with ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SOtM sMS-200 as roon end point

Description Of Issue

Have a 60 days trial subscription, considering roon as future media player…

Had two problems but upgrading windows to 1909 (from 1903) solved the first being that roon applications could not connect to the roon core on laptop when windows turned off the laptop screen. Touching the mouse again turning on the screen again made it possible for the app to connect. Music continue playing while screen is off.

The second problem is still there: when the laptop turns off the screen, cpu utilizations turns up and uses a full core (2 core cpu). This makes the fan go off which is very annoying. Moving the mouse and turn on the screen settles things down again. Very frustrating. When screen is on, cpu usage during playback is around 3% for the roon application and 6-7% in total. Looks like at bug in the core that cannot handle turned off screens :frowning:

Please advise…

Maybe try the 32 bit version if the graphics hardware is Intel HD.

Also try turning off the power save options. Firewall options should also be off for troubleshooting and or at least all the Roon applications granted full access.

Thanks for the input, I can certainly try forcing the 32 bit version although I don’t remember it to be an option during install.

Regarding firewall setup, I don’t believe firewall rules to be dependant on whether the screen is on or not… and everything is fine until windows turns it off :slight_smile:

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

What kind of GPU is your Lenovo laptop using, is it on the newest version? For the 32-bit version that @wizardofoz mentioned, this is a separate download link from our installer page, under Windows 32-bit: https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

I’m a real advocate for not using a laptop if you can help it.

That said, how much memory is in your PC?

8gb… The laptop works fine as long the screen is turned on. Laptop has an SSD. CPU utliization for roon process is 5-6% so lots of headroom… laptop is not doing much.

GPU is intel-based… still think it is a bug in roon, though :o(

90% of the time, when on of my home/work PCs is running “hot” regarding CPU, the offender is anti-malware programs.

This is not the case here. The laptop is doing nothing at all other than playing musik through roon. This is clearly a bug. It also happens when the music is paused but roon still open. As soon as the screen is swicthed off by the OS, cpu goes wild. Tried monitoring it with standard windows tools and it seems to be the task manager process going bananas when roon is open and screen turns off. With roon closed, nothing happens here. Somehow the system manages to generate a lot of interupts it seems.

Please fix… :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 1909. Lenovo laptop with 500gb ssd, newest roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi connection - problem also there with ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SOtM sMS-200 as roon end point, iPad/iPhone as remote

Description Of Issue

I have a problem previously described in another thread but now I attempt again (having purchased a full year license. The other thread:

I run Roon Core on my laptop. The full version, not the server version (because strangely enough, I think that the full version sounds better, more dynamic, more open, more bas impact than the server version…).

The problem is that when the laptop turns off the screen due to energy settings, Roon refuses connections from the remote. In addition, the CPU usage of laptop increases dramatically (to a full 100% core of the dual core laptop, so 50% overall).

Music continues to play, following the playlist. But the laptop heats up and starts the fan due to the high cpu load.

Other music players like foobar or JRiver works fine so this is not an issue with the laptop turning off remote connections.

This is VERY annoying as I have to turn off energy setting for music listening.

As per the other thread, I’ve tried both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version (something related intel display driver) and the problem is there with both.

However, it is not there with the pure server version! This would be great if the server version then sounded as good as the full version but is strangely enough does not in my system - the sound is softer and with less impact/leading edges using the server version.

To me, this seems as a bug in the frontend application of Roon.

Any advice to solve the problem?

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Can you check to see if you have the latest display drivers for your PC? Roon operates very similarly to a video game for example (as both use OpenGL), so it is possible that an updated driver might have some improvements when the screen is sleeping.

Hi noris,

I’ve checked the driver. Its the newest one for the hardware in the laptop but keep in mind, the laptop is some years old.

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Can you note the exact local time + date when this behavior next occurs and send me a private message with a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? I can take a look for any clues there, it might help.

Hi Noris,

Sent you a message with log details.

Thanks in advance!
Rasmus

1 Like

HI @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Thanks for sending that log over.

To me it looks like the Roon app was shut down at 21:51 and restarted at 22:00, as in it doesn’t look like Roon is still active when your PC is entering sleep mode.

When your PC exited sleep mode, was the Roon app still open or did you have to open it again?

Hi Noris,

Lets try another one then from last night. As mentioned, roon actually crashed in the first log files after windows turned off the screen.

I’ve sent you another set of log files… A one-hour listening setting (I set my screen turnoff to 1 hour. You can see the entire session in the log for February 7. 17 pm to 18 pm (when the screen turns off and the roon app cannot connect to the core).

Please keep in mind, this only happens with the FULL version of roon. I’ve tried the core version and the problem is not there with the core version.

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hello @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, wanted to discuss your case and diagnostics with the technical team first.

I have spoke to them today and it looks like Roon is shutting down in your timestamps. As a follow-up step, we would like to inquire further regarding your energy saving settings.

Can you please share a screenshot of what energy saving settings you have active on this PC (with as much detail as possible)? Do you have it set up to put the hard drive in sleep when the screen turns off?

Hi Noris,

Sorry for my late reply.

I’ve attached a screen shot of my energy settings. Sorry for the Danish language, hope you’ll be able to view settings anyway :o) Harddisk is set to never sleep and the laptop is connected to power, not battery. Currently, the screen is set to turn off after one hour but the same happens if I set it to 1 minute - CPU rizes and connections are refused by roon.

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Thanks for the screenshot. I wonder if the hard drive sleeping is impacting this behavior. Can you please try to set the hard drive to not sleep at all (for both battery and plugged in) and see if you experience the same issue?