Roon core high cpu when laptop screen is off

Hi noris,

I just tried this without any change.

Please notice that I have run foobar with remote in this setup for many years without problems. And that the pure server version of roon does not have this behavior. So to me the problem lies with an aspect of the frontend that somehow is affected by the screen shutting off. Please also notice that the music continues to play (so I cannot recognize your comment on roon shuttuing down - this only happened once that roon actually crashed and is not usually the case).

Before roon, I usually close the lid on the laptop (no hibernation, just forcing the screen to turn off) - this results in the same behavior on roon.

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Thanks for giving the hard drive sleep change a try. I spoke to the technical team and this behavior might be due to the GPU you’re using.

I know you mentioned you’re using the newest GPU driver, but can you please let me know the model/manufacturer and which driver version you’re using? This info should be visible in Window’s Device Manager, under Display Adapters.

Hi noris,

Sorry for my late reply, been busy :frowning:

The display driver is: intel HD graphics 3000.

Driver version is: 9.17.10.4459

The display driver is the newest available driver for the hardware.

And I’m sorry, I work with software development and have a really hard time understanding how the graphics driver can mess up with your roon program? And even limit network connections to the core… other programs work fine and as mentioned earlier, the laptop has run my foobar setup rock solid with the lid down and hence the screen turned off…

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

We recently released a new version of Roon, build 528, can you please check to see if the behavior is the same with this build? We made a few graphics-related improvements.

If the behavior is the same, could you try running the Intel Update assistant?

Hi Noris,

I’ve updated the roon application on the laptop but the issue persists. I can force the issue setting the screen to turn off after 1 minute and still, the roon application maxes out a full core on the CPU:

The drop from 50% is when I touch the mouse pad and the screen turns on again.

And still, when the screen turns off, the roon remote on my ipad cannot connect to the core (which is even stranger) :o(

I ran the support assistant but there was no driver to download. The one currently installed came with windows 10 when I upgraded.

Thank you for your patience!

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

I just wanted to update you here and let you know that I plan to discuss your case further with QA and see if we can schedule some testing for this behavior or if they have other thoughts on what could be causing this behavior to occur. Once I hear back, I will be sure to let you know, thanks!

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to discuss your case again with QA. I have spoken with them and I have some feedback for you here:

1. If Roon is not running and the laptop screen turns off, do you notice an increase in CPU usage with other apps as well, particularly any apps that use OpenGL such as games to render objects?

2. This behavior may be related to an issue on Lenovo regarding WiFi usage. We did a bit of searching and came across this article, it might be related to the issue you are experiencing:
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-gen-loses-internet-connection-but-still-connected/td-p/4342073

Hi noris,

Thank you too for your patience! I know that it is an odd problem… :frowning:

1. I don’t experience ANY connectivity problems woth other software. As mentioned earlier, I’ve had several server programs running without any problems including foobar with music playback using monkey mote as a mobile remote. No problems here. Only roon in the desktop results in the issue and yes, there is an increase in cpu (from 5-6% to 50% = a full core for roon).

2. I can try installing the updated wifi drivers but the issue described in the thread is not the issue in my case; the laptop does not have connectivity issues and does not loose wifi access as described in the thread that you link to. In my case, roon gets back on track as soon as I touch the screen and the screen turns on again. Immediately thecpu usage drops and the remote is able to connect again.

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

Was there any change in behavior with the other WiFi driver?

I don’t believe either of these programs use Open GL to render objects. Perhaps your PC/graphics card is doing something strange when rendering OpenGL objects, you may want to run a GPU Test and verify if the same behavior occurs when the screen goes to sleep with one of these tests.

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your patience!

The mentioned wifi driver was not supported so I was not allowed to install it onto my laptop.

I tried the GPU test to reproduce the error with an Open GL program but the issue is not there. This behavior is only here with the desktop version of roon server. Wifi connectivity is not affected in general as I can ping the laptop with other servers while roon does not respond - so it its not a general wifi connection issue (it is also there with cabled ethernet).

Kind regards,
Rasmus

Hi @Rasmus_Ortoft,

I had another meeting with QA regarding this behavior and in this case, we are not certain what is causing this behavior on your end.

As far as I am aware, your report is the only one where the CPU usage starts happening when the screen turns off, and we are not able to reproduce this behavior in the QA lab with any of our Windows testing machines.

If you’d like to look into this further, you might need to take some more drastic steps to see if it helps, steps such as completely reinstalling Windows, checking each of your drivers to ensure that they are on the latest version or resetting your power settings to default values.

We can’t say what is causing this behavior, and we are not able to reproduce this in-house so there’s not much more that we can do from our end here unfortunately. If you manage to narrow down the behavior and find the offending cause, do let me know.

Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: High CPU usage when screen turns off