Roon Core is crashing on iMac

I have been running Roon Core on an iMac for a few months and it has, more or less, worked well. However, yesterday, while it crashed for no apparent reason, in a middle of a playback. After that, when I try to open the program, it crashes within a few seconds. Today I updated the OS to Big Sur 11.6.1, but the Roon Core continues to crash.
What do I do?

Hi @Eldar_Hauge . I reported something like this a couple of years back when it was happening to me (mainly overnight I have to say when the iMac went to sleep. It had crashed by morning with a big report screen showing). Goodness….is it still happening? No solutions came out of posting the problem on the forum. I run my core on a NUC now, but I did solve my problem by uninstalling the full Roon from my iMac and installing only Roonserver. This never crashed. I then reinstalled full Roon on the iMac but only as a control point, leaving Roonserver to manage the Core still. All worked beautifully and solved my problem. Maybe this will work for you.

I have removed Roon from the Applications folder and downloaded a new version. I have restarted the iMac (again), but it works the same. The initial Roon window opens, stating no audio devices found. After a couple of seconds the “processing” symbol turns on and a few seconds later the regular home page comes up. After app. 3 seconds the program closes.
An alternative could be to move the Roon Core to another machine, but, as far as I can understand, I will lose my library, which I would hate to do.

You won’t lose your library. I have moved my core around 3 times I think. As long as you have a backup of your library that the new machine can easily access, you choose the restore option that shows on the initial set up screen, rather than creating a new core.

Did you try deleting Roon from the iMac and just downloading Roon server? Once set up you can check from an iPad or iPhone that it’s working. Then if you need it download the full Roon to the iMac but just point it to the Roonserver Core. It sounds odd I know as you will have 2 Roon apps running on your iMac (only one core though) but it worked for me.

Unfortunately, for all the wrong reasons, my backup crashed on Friday, so my only access is based on getting the roon software up and running again …
I just don´t understand why a piece of software, which has been working pretty well (it has done weird things in the past, but nothing that could not be fixed), on a platform where I have made no changes, suddenly crashes with 100% consistency.

Hi @Eldar_Hauge we appreciate you letting us know of your experience - we’re sorry to hear this! We are here to help.

Would you mind restarting the iMac, launching Roon and then writing down the local date and time when the crash occurs?

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

I look forward to your reply so that we can take a look. Thanks! :pray:t3:

I gave up on waiting, removed all Roon files and reinstalled the software. I lost all tags, but apart from that, everything seems to work.
It would be very nice to have a customer service to contact and not having to rely on a community forum …

Thanks for the update, Eldar. We appreciate you taking the steps towards fixing this issue - I’m sorry to hear about the tags. :pensive:

Please certainly let us know if the issue returns.

If you’d rather not use Community to get help with any issues, you’re always welcome to use our Contact Form to get in touch with us over email! You can find the Contact Form here: Contact Form

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.