Roon core is not connecting to Bluesound Vault 2 & Node 2

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Glad to hear that you were able to get the router in bridge mode! I believe that you can change the WiFi settings by accessing the IP address of the Node’s directly from a web browser. To find out the IP address, you can check your Router’s DHCP assigned IPs list or use an app like FING.

While performing this step you will have to have the Node’s plugged in via Ethernet and then after changing the WiFi setup you can disconnect the cable. Just to confirm, the rest of the issues are resolved? Have you been able to play music to the Nodes when connected via Ethernet and the Vault is working as expected? Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
Hi there, well, good news and bad news. Yesterday I had the Vault 2 on Roon and on BlueSound but none of the Nodes. So, after I sent you the email last night I spent more time with it and got one of the Node 2’s on BlueSound but not on Roon. Today, I worked on it again and managed to get both Nodes and the Vault on BlueSound so I have music again. However the Vault on Roon disappeared and neither of the Nodes are on Roon and doing a search for components finds nothing. So now we are back to where we were in the beginning except we have the router in bridge mode and the sound is running through the second router. So I do have tunes playing but only through BlueSound, not Roon.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Sorry to hear the bad news :frowning: . Just wanted to confirm here, the Vault 2 and Nodes are showing up only when you’re using your Andorid device with the BluOS app and are still not showing up at all in Roon, correct? You mention that you spent more time with the Nodes and managed to get them to finally show up in the App, can you please let me know what exactly did you do to get them to show up?

Would it be possible to install the BluOS app on your Roon Core computer (Windows 10 machine) and confirm if they show up properly there? If they don’t show up properly, then this could indicate that we need to take another look at any possible firewalls blocking access on the Windows machine. The download link to the BluOS app for windows is listed here: https://www.bluesound.com/downloads/.

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
That is correct - the Vault 2 and both Node 2’s show up on my PC and my Android cell phone. I did have the Vault 2 on Roon for a few days but it disappeared when I got the router in bridge mode, even though it was on the new network with the AT&T router turned off.
To get them onto the new network, I ran a network scan with the Avast, my antivirus program. It found the nodes as possible network entry points and flagged them as needing attention. I opened up the network interface on the Nodes through Avast and entered the network ID and password. Interestingly, one Node was off 99% of the time and it came right up on the network, the other is on 100% of the time and would not. So I unplugged it for 24 hours and then tried again but that made no difference. I fiddled with it using the Avast network scanner and finally got it online.
Blue OS is on the PC and they have always worked just fine there. See that is the weird part, BlueOS found them on the PC but Roon cannot. Roon cannot find them from my Android cell either although Blue OS found them right away. Weird.

@noris
Just to confirm things, I tried to get Roon on the android cell to locate things but even though the cell is on the new network, Roon cannot find them. I did a network scan with Avast, other than it not liking the password to the new router, it didn’t find any issues. I did not see my cell there, however, there is a device called Slim Devices that I don’t know what it is. According to the cell, it is logged into the correct network. So what should I do now?

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thank you for the clarification. It seems to me that Avast could be blocking the connection to the Node’s from what you describe. Can you please try to temporarily disable the Avast firewall? You can use these instructions from Avast to do so:

I have a suspicion that Avast is blocking communications here somehow and verifying why is a good question to have answered. Roon uses a different port to communicate with the Bluesound devices than the BluOS applications do, so that may explain why BluOS is working while Roon isn’t. It would also be a good idea to check if you have any other kind of firewall applications active on the computer. If disabling the firewall fixes this issue for you, we can then investigate adding the proper port forwarding rules to the firewall configuration.

Slim Devices is a manufacturing company that produces Squeezebox & Logitech devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Devices. Many router manufactures attempt to label devices based on various heuristics to help users know which devices are connected to the network. The “Slim Devices” device you see may be a device on your network that supports the Squeezebox protocol, or it could be your router just attempting to label a streaming audio device.

Please let me know your what happens if you temporarily disable the Avast firewall.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
I did disable the firewall from AVAST, I also found there is a second firewall on the system, which is the basic Windows 10 firewall and that is controlled by AVAST. A Windows box came up and asked me if I wanted to allow ROON to have access to the net. I clicked yes. I also disconnected the internet cable from the DSL AT&T router while I had the firewall turned off leaving everything else on. Incidentally, on the AVAST Firewall page, under “Apps managed by your Firewall” it does state that ROON is “Allowed”
I fired up ROON and had it look for new devices on the network but it did not find anything other than the speakers on my PC.
I forgot I have a Squeeze Box on the system. The Vault 2 and Node 2 combination made that somewhat obsolete. I still use it though, since it has all my favorite radio stations set up as we have very poor FM reception out here.
This problem must be really bizarre - you guys can’t possibly have this much trouble with most ROON users!

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thank you for confirming that you disabled the firewall without any change. You are indeed correct, we don’t usually experience these kinds of issues in similar setups so there must be a reason why this issue is affecting your setup more than others.

As a follow up troubleshooting step, I’d like to gather the logs from your Bluesound devices to see if there is anything that could be preventing communication from properly happening. Please use the instructions listed below to retrieve the logs from the Bluesound devices:

• Open the “BluOS Controller” application on your computer and then select the device we are troubleshooting as the current zone.

• Along the left side of the app, you should see along the bottom “Settings” and “Help”. Click on “Help”, click on “Diagnostics”. then click on the “More” button.

• You should then be looking at your Bluesound logs. Select all of the text that is shown in that window by hitting “CRTL” + “A” on your keyboard, and paste it into a text file using something like the “Notepad” application.

• Save the file as “NADM32_BLUOS_LOG_VAULT2.txt”

• Repeat this process for each of your BluSound zones, saving the additional zone’s logs as
    “NADM32_BLUOS_LOG_NODE2_1txt”
    “NADM32_BLUOS_LOG_NODE2_2.txt”

• You can then upload that file to a service like dropbox and share the link with me via PM or if you’d like, you can upload these files directly to our servers, I will PM you shortly on how to perform the upload to our servers.

Please let me know if you have any issues retrieving the log files from your devices and I will be happy to clarify.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
I have the three text files for you. I’ll upload them directly to your servers.
BTW, I did get a 50 foot Ethernet cable to hook up one node to the router. Keep in mind that the Vault2 is hardwired to the router as is my PC, so I am not expecting Roon to find the Home Theater Node2 if it can’t find the Vault2. But I will give it a try and let you know later this evening.

@noris
The files seem to upload okay, I got green check marks. There was no log off button or completion button so I just closed the browser window.
R

@noris
I tried the Ethernet cable direct connection experiment. Unfortunately, the router is RJ11 while the Node is RJ45 and I have a RJ45 cable. I’ll see if I can find a RJ11 cable at work tomorrow that is long enough.
R

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thanks for uploading those files, I can confirm that we have successfully received them and I have submitted them to QA for analysis. The Nighthawk router should be using RJ45 type connections, not sure if you have switched back to the previous router but please do let me know your findings. I will be sure to update you once QA has completed the analysis of your logs.

Thanks,
Noris

@norris
The router is still in the system, the DSL AT&T router is still in bridge mode. Incidentally, setting things up this made a significant improvement in watching movies on TV. There are no more dropouts!
The router is not the Nighthawk, rather it is one almost identical to it, based on what one of the software engineers at work said when he loaned it to me.
I’ll get a RJ11 cable and give it a try, I didn’t get a chance to get one today.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Glad to hear that things are improving, would you please be able to let me know the exact model/manufacturer of the Router that the engineers loaned to you? As I have mentioned previously I have not seen a Router that has RJ11 connections, only Modem/Router combos and if that’s the case it could be causing other issues here. I recommend simplifying the network to just one Modem and one Router, connecting your Core and Bluesound devices via Ethernet and verifying the behavior afterwards.

Also, would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of your current IP address information? To do this please:

• Open Command Prompt
  • Type in the command “ipconfig -all”
  • Post a screenshot of what you’re seeing on that page

Please let me know this information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

@norris
Here is the ipconfig -all dump. I will ask about the router name and model info tomorrow. There is nothing on the unit anywhere, which is a bit odd. Meanwhile, given how much better the TV is working now, I should just go out and buy a router. I’ll review the list which you sent me earlier in this thread.

@norris
This Netgear one looks pretty good and is $100 less than the X10 - Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router. Unless you have a good reason for the X10, I’ll get this one. I am still limited by the DSL network, so this speed is really just for sound.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Thank you for providing the ipconfig -all information, I have added it to your case with QA and removed it from this thread for privacy reasons. They have noted that you seem to have 3 active network connections on your computer and network simplification would help a lot in narrowing down the cause of your issue.

Can you please disable the WiFi & Virtualbox Ethernet Adapter from your computer’s Network and Sharing Center and verify that the issue still exists with only Ethernet? This article provides visual steps on how to temporarily disable network adapters. After disabling the other adapters, I would check to see if there’s any change in Roon’s ability to find your devices.

Also, since there is no label on the Router unit that the engineer lent to you, I would recommend getting the Nighthawk X6 you listed, please order it from a source such as Amazon where you can easily return if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding my above suggestions.

Thanks,
Noris

@norris
I will order the X6 tonight. As for disabling the WiFi, the good news is Roon found the two Node 2’s and I added them in Roon. The bad news is Vault 2 is disabled. The funny part is Vault 2 is hardwired into the router and my PC is also hardwired into the same router.
However, that being said, I was able to play music from my backup drive, which is on the PC through Roon to the Home Theater Node 2. Playing from the Vault 2 however is not possible.
So Progress of sorts!

PS: I turned WiFi back on, shut down Roon, and turned it back on again. The Nodes were still there however, Vault 2 is still among the missing.
I’m thinking we should put Vault 2’s photo on a milk carton? Maybe that would help?

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

I just wanted to check in with you here to see if there have been any changes since we last spoke. Has the Nighthawk by any chance arrived yet? Have you made any other changes that allowed the Vault 2 to properly show up in Roon? I would also try disabling the other network adapters as I previously mentioned to verify if that allows the devices to be detected in Roon. Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris