Roon Core is Unstable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel NUC. It has been running happily for about 9 months.
Controller: 1.6 B416
Core: 1.6 B416
Bridge: DeitPi, v1 B169

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
100% Ubiquit, wired between Controller and Streamer.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Allo’s Digione Signature.

Description Of Issue
The Core falls off the network every few minutes, restarts, repeats. Let’s say it completes this cycle every 2min.

1. I think, but am not certain, that this behavior began with an upgrade to Core.

2. Prior to the Controller losing connection with Core, the Controller reports a loss of connection to the streamer.

I think you’re problem lies elsewhere. Have you ruled out layer 1, 2 and 3? Networking issues? And perhaps a reboot?

Or a hardware issue with the NUC.

I’m doubtful it is networking gear, as there are no other problems on the network. Switch has been power cycled.

Any tips for troubleshooting the Intel NUC?

A few more observations:

• I’ve terminal pinging away at the Core. And, when the Core drops a ping (so far, only ever just a single ping) this precedes the Controller (OSX) losing contact.

• If I leave Controller OSX and Controller iOS running and open, they behave differently on “drop events”: Controller OSX reports “Roon is still trying to connect, but it’s taking longer than normal. Check that your Roon Core is on and connected.” This message is replaced in <30 seconds by Roon as usual. Meanwhile, the iOS client reports that the streamer is no longer reachable, but it appears that the Core is 100% fine throughout the event.

As I write this, I realize that the single point of failure is the network switch. But, it is a robust unit, <1 year old, and manifesting no other observed problems.

The only change I’ve made to the network in recent days was to the DHCP server.

Thoughts?

Hi @Jonathan_B,

What is the exact model of the switch?

When your remotes lose connection, are they both lost at the exact same time, or do these disconnects occur at different times?

When the disconnects occur for the remotes, can you access the Web UI?

Hey Jonathan, you haven’t made it clear what operating system you are using on your core NUC. Are you using ROCK or DietPi? If you are not using ROCK, do you have anything else on your core?

The only pieces of networking gear in the path between the Core and Streamer: Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W and 2x runs of cable. Between the Controller and the Core, there’s Ubiquiti AP and a different run of cable to the switch.

This is the topology:

Controller (OSX) <–> AP <–> SWITCH <–> Core (ROCK) <–> SWITCH <–> Bridge AKA “Streamer” (DeitPi)

Most of the connections drops are only visible in Roon Controller (in other words, not visible as dropped pings), so I can’t tell what and when anything is dropping.

Where can I find the “Web UI”?

I’m running ROCK on the NUC.

Thanks!

Use a web browser and browse to the IP address of your NUC. See this KB article.

Ah, thanks.

Let me add that:

• During these drop events, I’m unable to reach the Roon CORE web UI.

I notice that the Ubiquiti switch is a managed switch. Managed switches can be problematic in a Roon environment, as a search through the forum will show. I’ve been stung myself.

Thank you for that.

I can imagine how a managed switch might cause trouble in the path between the Core and Bridge. But in this case, I’m nearly certain that there’s trouble (maybe “also trouble”) between Controller and Core. And, I can’t for the life of me understand how a managed switch might be problematic in that path (especially one that’s worked without trouble for 9 months).

Try a different ethernet cable between the Core & the switch?

That I’ve done. Ug.

Hi @Jonathan_B,

Thanks for confirming that the Web UI is also not available during this time. Since this is the case, it’s not necessarily a remote > Roon connection issue — The device isn’t being seen over the network for Web UI access either.

We make a note of some issues that can arise when using a managed switch in our Networking Guide, and have some settings that we recommend here as well. While I understand that things were working previously, we have seen issues like this come up relating to these types of switches, so bypassing that switch as a test would definitely be a great data point for understanding where this behavior is stemming from.

So. I’ve listened to your feedback and I have removed the managed switch from the path and added an unmanaged Netgear. Same deal. Not sure where to go from here…

It sounds like you have a local network issue. Break things down to the simplest configuration and see if things work then.

Forced a clearing of the ARP cache, and everything’s good. How odd, remarkable.

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan_B — I’m glad things are now working for you. Just to confirm, is everything still performing okay? If you see this issue return please let us know!