Roon Core needs restart every 10 min to hour in order to continue library audio analysis

Roon Core Machine

Win10 Dell optiplex i7, 16gb, 500Gb nvme-

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Synology NAS

Connected Audio Devices

Oppo 205, MatrixAudio Element M, Rpi4 (Ropieexl) to platin hub to wireless speakers

Library Size

90k tracks

Description of Issue

I am having to frequently restart roon core as the background audio files are analyzed. I cranks along just fine using 5 cores and then stops analyzing. I have lots to be analyzed and so far it has completed maybe 1/2 of library and i have had to restart at least 20 times. No matter how long i wait, once it has stopped, i am forced to either shutdown the roon core service or restart the server. Its not about slowing down, its about stopping

The most recent example while i have been typing this is that there are more than 10k tracks that need to be analyzed per library background library analysis speed. I restarted the server prior to starting this thread and it completed 602 of them and stopped analyzing. For it to finish the remainder i am forced to restart the service/server.
I has run as long as 2-3 hours before needing a restart but now it is stopping in 10 minutes or less (the last 10x or so)

The other major oddity is that there are > than 90k tracks in my library that Roon initially scanned. It imported about 60k of those on the first day and then stopped. No matter if i force a rescan from storage settings it rescans that number changes every time it rescans. Sometimes the quantity shown on the rescan is more than what has already been imported and sometimes less. Seems to me the rescan quantity should be the same (or very close) to the prior scans but its not. Its off by 10s of thousands

In case it matters so far i have no problems playing music, its just i cannot get my music imported, scanned and ready to play. All tracks reside on the synology nas and are on the same wired network

Hello @cd_gibson,

Thanks for getting in touch about this and sharing the issue you ran into. We’re sorry about the trouble.

As a very first troubleshooting step, could you please let us know what your Audio Analysis Settings are?

Thanks in advance :pray:

I will try. I am still in the initial stages of learning since this only my second day so… please be gentle :slight_smile:
Background audio analysis speed - I initially started with the default one core but have increased it to 5 now. There is nothing on the server other than roon and its a 6 core machine

On demand audio analysis speed is set at fast.

BTW this problem is independent of whether i am listening or not. In most cases there is nothing other than the import and analysis going on.

Is this all you need?

In the import settings, i did not change anything from what was provided via default

Since awaiting support response. I have had to restart 8x. Each time the core (and library analysis) stops.

Hello? Support
I still need help. Its not working

this is quite possibly being caused by some corrupted music files or perhaps some other type of file in the folders.

@support probably needs logs

perhaps you can ready some for them

1 Like

Hi @cd_gibson ,

Thanks for reaching out! As @wizardofoz mentioned, can you please share a set of your Roon logs by using these instructions to access them?

Also, can you please include a screenshot of your Activity Spinner that says what Roon is attempting to scan?

Thanks!

Please provide another way for me to upload my zip files. I do not have any cloud storage accounts. I cant due to my business.

Please note background analysis stuck at zero. Has been that way for hours now even though i have restarted roon server 3x.

Hello @cd_gibson ,

Thanks for those screenshots, it is appreciated!

Can you please upload the logs here and let us know once uploaded?
https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/5dHjIc9ndMt-LVTzf

Thanks!

Sent. Done. Completed

Added new files starting 3 days ago.

Roon core taking 20-24% of core cpu and 30-40% of memory yet i am not using roon. The fan is on high all the time and it is HHHOOOOTTT. I need some help please. I believe this is due to my post of 9 days ago which has not been responded to.
My trial is ending. How should i be making a decision based upon zero support?

Hi CD

Not support just another user If you turn off audio analysis, settings/library/Background audio analysis speed to Off.

Does the memory and CPU use drop?

a trial extension is normally not an issue should you have been having some issue. Just ask accounts.

Nope.
Only thing that does (At least so far) is stopping the service on the server. A restart of the server or the service has no effect unfortunately.

Ok, will do that. Thanks
Now, just have to figure out how to get a hold of accounts LOL

The point is to stop audio analysis completely. If stopping Audio Analysis, doesn’t reduce the memory or CPU usage, then something else is going on.

Of course, i determined this on day one. But still I wait for support to help … going on 10 days now.