Roon Core Not Finding New Albums In Real Time

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

CentOS 7.8 VMware Server 4.5GB RAM 8 Cores Intel® Xeon® CPU E31260L @ 2.40GHz
Music on FreeNAS NFS share. 10 Drive RAID 6 with SSD Cache.
Roon 1.7 (Build 537)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All wired in this case.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

Hi @Support,

My Core server is not picking up new music stored in the watch paths, they are mounted as the following from the core: -

/mnt/nfs/music/Dad
/mnt/nfs/music/Mum
/mnt/nfs/music/Tom

They are housed on a FreeNAS server and readonly (readonly mount might be the issue?)

I added a new rip to the music store last night and this morning it’s still not showing the the core lib. With a previous addition I had to do a manual scan.

Any ideas why the “watcher” element seems to be asleep?

Because inode watches over network mounts are unreliable/broken at best (especially for SMB, though your mountpoints suggest you are using NFS).

Also, default limit for inode watches is something like 8192 inodes, so if you have a lot of music folders (e.g., a hierarchy of artist->album->tracks), you will exceed that. You can increase this with kernel sysctl, and needs to be set on both the client (Roon Core system) and the file server. Increasing it has a cost in kernel memory usage. (Note that large libraries connected locally (e.g., internal/USB SSD/HDD) to a Roon Core running on Linux are also subject to the maximum inode watch limit.) This is an OS-level limitation, and not something Roon can fix.

On my CentOS 7-based Roon Core, I use this:

[/etc/sysctl.d]$ cat 98-max-user-watches.conf 
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288

When using Roon with networked music share, you either need to initiate a manual library scan, or wait for the configured auto scan period to come around. The auto scan period is configured in the Roon preferences.

Personally, I prefer that Roon doesn’t do real-time watches from my Synology music share. I prefer to copy music in, make sure the meta data tags are all correct, etc. And then kick off a manual scan in Roon so it gets good metadata right from the getgo.

1 Like

Perfect. Nailed…

[root@minimserver ~]# cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

Thanks! \m/,

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.