Roon (Core) not found - devices keep losing it

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac
Mac OS X 10.11.6 V1.7 build 160 stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

( -> means ‘wired ethernet’)
Fibre to the premises, ONT (modem) -> google wifi router (no ISP router) -> Cisco 2960 -> 2960 into which are connected the iMac and the streamer. Other Google Wifi points around as wireless mesh. All switches unmanaged - other cheaper switches elsewhere for other devices (coming off the first Cisco switch), all Gbit.

Devices (iPad mini, iPhone 11, Mac powerbook, kindle fire) all connected to wifi, decent signal strength. Mac set to not sleep.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

dCS Rossini, wired connection to 2nd Cisco switch

Description Of Issue

Roon core running on a decent spec iMac, with Roon Core on the SSD (and music files on a NAS), mostly streaming from Tidal.

Mostly, works fine, but for most of my devices they seem to lose connection to the Roon Core if they ever sleep and take a long while to re-find it on the network.

Is this common? Is there a work-around? I sometimes have to disconnect from the not-found core, and search again, and (after quite a while - 30s) it will find it again and I can reconnect…

ideas to solve this welcome, as it makes the experience as a whole quite frustrating…

3 posts were split to a new topic: iPad and iPhone can not find Core

Hi @xcentric,

Does this issue only happen when you move your devices throughout the house?
Perhaps they are switching between the Google Nodes and causing a temporary interrupt?

it happens when they wake up - it seems that the reconnection takes a while. I assume others don’t have to wait any time - or are my expectations incorrect?

Yes indeed I have exactly the same issue - mobile devices constantly lose the core connection , a solution is to delete the Roon app and reload it straight away. But of course it s only and interim solution until it can be fixed properly.

controllers: iPhone 11, MacBook Pro late 2018 model, iPad mini, Kindle Fire (I’ll allow the Kindle to be slow :-))

Roon core running on a decent spec iMac, with Roon Core on the SSD and music files on a NAS, but mostly streaming from Tidal.

Mostly, works fine, but for most of my devices they seem to lose connection to the Roon Core when sleeping and take a long while to re-find it on the network.

Is this common? Is there a work-around? I sometimes have to disconnect from the not-found core, and search again, and (after quite a while - 30s) it will find it again and I can reconnect…

ideas to solve this welcome, as it makes the experience as a whole quite frustrating…

Create a new thread in support and fill in the information you will be asked for.

Can you try to disable all the sleeping mode on your iMac to see if this is eliminating the connection issue ?

I just build a NUC (NUC8i3BEH) and I disabled all the sleeping mode on the NUC to prevent the NUC (CORE) to get disconnect from Roon. Only the HD goes in sleep mode after 30 minutes and the screen. I use Roonserver (only) on Windows 10 Pro.

I made a custom power settings in windows 10 to prevent sleeping mode. Their must be something similar on iMac.

Maybe we can still use some sleeping mode without issue but I did not try it.

Mac is not sleeping

Hello @xcentric, and thanks for your report! Does the issue occur if you disable the sleep function of the mac? Also, I’d like to know what devices are showing the issue.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

See here: Roon (Core) not found - devices keep losing it

Hi @xcentric,

I’ve merged your two threads so that we can have all the information in one place.

Are you saying that the Macbook has an issue connecting to the Core as well?

What happens if you temporarily connect both the Core and the Macbook directly to the primary router instead of the nodes, do you still see this issue?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.