Roon core on Mac mini 2020 with macOS Catalina

Well, it was you who spelled it wrong. You were just cited by @mikeb

2 Likes

Hello Mike, do I connect the Intel NUC via WLAN or LAN Cable to the router? Or does it not matter?

Thanks so much for your support!

Lambert

Dunno how long Iv had Roon for now but my Mac mini has worked flawlessly with it. I already had it so I’ll agree something else could be cheaper if you are starting out. I don’t know why some people are so negative at times when there is so much evidence (several people’s current experiences) saying otherwise.

1 Like

this looks to had been fixed by 610 @Lambert_Brunner :partying_face:

Mine did too. Albeit only for the trial period. I did comment in another thread that if the only thing on the mini was the roon core, then it’s an expensive way to go to run the core. I use my mini for many things, so for me, putting the core on there for the two week trial seemed logical.

Sheldon

1 Like

I also use Roon (with HQPlayer) on a base model 2020 Mac Mini. All runs flawlessly, even with only 8 GB of memory. I had initially planned to upgrade the memory, but have seen no need for it.

macOS is Unix based and in my experience very reliable:-)

3 Likes

Don’t install Linux (Ubuntu or something similiar) unless your MacOS is no longer supported by Apple.
Your MacOS is much more stable than any Linux flavor out there, and you will bring lots of pain upon yourself doing it.

2 Likes

That’s not true. Linux distros wouldn’t dominate the server and super computer sectors if it were the case.

2 Likes

There is an illustrious forum member who taught us the saying ‘Horses for Courses’…

To me it seems that those recommending MacOS on the server over Linux are akin to those who recommend Linux on the desktop - over MacOS or Windows. Both are chasing the wind…

That said, if I had a MacMini at hand, of course I would use it with its native MacOS and be done with it. On the other hand, if I were in the market for a Roon server, I wouldn’t get a MacMini for that task.

4 Likes

[Moderated]
There is a bunch of reasons why Linux (more precisely RedHat) is chosen by some big enterprises. It has nothing to do with stability or reliability.

[Moderated]

Whatever the reasons you have in mind may be, Linux certainly doesn’t dominate the data centers for lack of stability or reliability, which was what you have been implying.

And with that I am out of this thread; these arguments lead to nowhere.

2 Likes

Apologies, this message is for @killdozer actually.

[Edited]

I have done my research as an IT pro of thirty years. Agree Linux is never going to be the desktop install of choice, though it is mine, but for stable servers it’s hard to beat

2 Likes

Sage advice that I’m inclined to follow.

I’m going to only say one thing then I’m out too. There is a synergy that is available to a company that makes its own software and hardware that you don’t get in a software only company. Those products tend to be more stable and reliable than the average.

See: DEC, Sun, sgi, modern Apple

The exception that proves the rule: original macOS, that was a steaming pile (although great from a user experience standpoint)

Sheldon

1 Like

These names take me back. I cut my professional teeth on DEC and Sun machines. Most of those companies are now sadly no longer with us. Not sure I’ll ever love a workstation more than my first VAX alpha box. It came with a 21" Sony CRT colour monitor that seemed huge at the time…

1 Like

I still have a little binder of FORTRAN code I used in my thesis that I wrote on a VAX. I had a HP UX machine collecting data and transferring it over to the VAX for analysis (those machines were a bit long in the tooth when I was using them, but lab machines with hardware interfaces are not replaced quickly). It’s now completely useless, but I can’t seem to bring myself to toss it out. I have a half dozen binders of now worthless tuff I’ll never look at but can’t seem to toss out.

Early linux was exciting, because it was the power of unix on cheap hardware. Even if you had to load from a mount Everest sized pile of floppies and hand tweak your monitor settings to get X to run. It was a significant step forward that seemed revolutionary at the time. I might still have my slackware CD set somewhere.

I have the OsX public beta CD. That was also really exciting. For two reasons, I have always had a soft spot for apple since I first played with the macintosh in 1984-5 timeframe. And the MacOS was so bad, and unix was so good at the time, that it was like a company that I liked finally getting religion. My undergrad school got a ton of NeXT boxes my junior year and that was like macOS done correctly. NeXT had such a cool OS and NeXTStep was such a great concept. You could write code so easily to do amazing things with all these easy to use frameworks that just didn’t exist on other platforms. It was so ahead of it’s time that current OsX and iOS is still using NeXTStep frameworks (that’s the “ns” in things like nsWindow, nsString, etc)

Hardware is so insanely powerful and so boring these days. :smiley:

Sheldon

I threw a set out about 3 months ago as I can’t imagine needing them again and one of the CDs was splitting.

Me to, mostly due to the Apple II been the unrequited love of my computing childhood. I had to make do with ZX81, a C64 and a BBC B instead. But man I wanted that Apple machine with it’s fancy, and equally unobtainbable, expansion boards.

So true. In reality it’s a non-issue professionally since most kit I use is linux slice on a virtualised platform somewhere. The reality of it is the reliability of the underlying hypervisor is key to most servers on the web these days. Small low powered devices are the most fun these days.

Yes, it’s crazy. the rPi is an insane powerhouse that would have been a godsend in the 90’s when I was in grad school as an analysis computer, and all in it’s like $40. A $3 atmega samM0 chip can have a real time OS installed on it and run at 80mhz and also be so power conscious to be able to shut off sections of itself and subsist in sleepwalking mode on a watch battery for years until it’s needed. And it’s like $3.

Another example is the arduino platform. Those original arduinos are $2 chips that are 16mhz 8 bit computers. You can turn one of those into the brains for a CNC machine tool (GRBL). a $2 chip!

These arm chips are dirt cheap and powerful. And the software tools for them are pretty impressive. Even embedded microprocessors that used to be programmed at the bare metal level are now abstracted and have OS’s. I feel super old.

We had apple II’s in my high school computer lab. That and TRS80’s. I spent a lot of time cutting my programming teeth on the apple II.

You are so right about virtualization, it’s a revolution. I don’t need to buy a whole server for a service that uses <1% of the servers capacity. IT’s brilliant.

1 Like