ROON core on PC with audio files on TrueNAS

I currently don’t have ROON yet as I am trying to setup an environment for it before I try it. I know I am going to need a better PC, but for now, let’s assume I have the recommended gear.

This weekend I finished constructing my NAS server running TrueNAS. I have to add more drives, but for now I am experimenting and learning and am able to createa file and transfer data to it, currently have one for Plex.

Is anyone running TrueNAS as a server and if so, how do you have your data setup and your ROON core pointed/mapped to it?

Thanks

Also, if this Is in the wrong area and can be moved, please do so.

That’s exactly what I use. I have a Roon ROCK OS running on an Intel Core i5 system. I have some of my FLAC files on an internal drive, and some on my TrueNAS server. You have to make sure you create an SMB share. It’s best to create one dedicated to Roon audio files. Then, in your Roon Remote app (I use an Android tablet, but it runs on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android), go to your Settings/Storage area, and map it using the access information set up in your TrueNAS. Here’s a link to a video that explains how to set up an SMB shares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfX4sqDmzs&t=1s

If, for some reason, it doesn’t work, let me know and I will attach screenshots of my own configuration. I also use TrueNAS to back up my Roon library.

One other thing, if you want to run Roon Server on TrueNAS, the only way I’ve tried is via a Virtual Machine that’s built into TrueNAS, provided, of course, your hardware supports virtualization. I just did it as an experiment, and it worked nicely. Still, I prefer to have a dedicated machine to run Roon ROCK on.

Thanks for the reply.

If I understand correctly, you are running 2 servers, one with Rock and one with TrueNAS and using TrueNAS for backup?

I would prefer to just use my Windows PC as Core and direct/map it to my TrueNAS. Is that possible/easy? Just an FYI, all of this is on wired network.

Not quite. Roon ROCK is a Linux-based appliance. It’s a self-contained operating system that runs the Roon Server. I know, it can be confusing. So, I run ROCK on a dedicated machine, and TrueNAS on a separate machine.

However, of course, you can just run the Roon Server software on your Windows PC and map to your TrueNAS. That works very nicely, too. Roon Backup is a utility that’s part of the Roon Server, and it backs up your Roon Library, but without the sound files, just the database/metadata.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.