Roon core only launches if second monitor is disconnected

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 v1909, Dual Monitor, Dual Graphics cards (Intel HD Graphics (on-board) & external PCIe NVidia GEForce GT 710, Roon version 1.7 build 571, 16GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1225v2(3.20GHZ)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

D-Link DGE-528T

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB Sound card

Description Of Issue

Roon app only launches when the monitor connected to the Intel HD Graphics card is disconnected. Otherwise, it hangs and eventually declares that it’s ‘not responding’. I have a dump file created from the process if that can perhaps provide more info. I used Windbg to debug but couldn’t translate the info to something understandable at my level of comprehension.
In terms of timing, the issue has only started occurring post 571 build update. Hoping you can help locate root cause.

Many thanks

Hello @Moss_5000, thanks for the report! I am currently running 571 and my PC has 3 monitors, but I’m not experiencing this issue. Are your drivers up to date? Have you rebooted since experiencing this issue?

Hi and thanks for your message. Yes the graphics drivers are all up to date. I seem to have made some progress by shutting down the core overnight. The app now starts up OK and discovers the audio devices and zones. I am then able to select any album of choice and play it. But once I minimise the app, upon maximising it again, I am met with a blank white screen.

Any suggestions?
Thx

Are the Intel drivers up to date from Intel site, not what windows update says.

:slightly_smiling_face: yes

Hello @Moss_5000, thanks for checking that! We are seeing a few reports of this same behavior elsewhere, can you please provide the following so I can add this data with the others?

1. A screenshot of the issue
  2. Press the bottom left “Windows button” and search for “System Information”
  3. Provide a screenshot of your System Information -> System Summary information
  4. Provide a screenshot of your System Information -> Components -> Display information
  5. Logs from your affected device right after the issue occurs. Logs can be accessed by using these instructions and sent through Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com or alternate means.

Hi Nuwriy,

Please find the diagnostic info here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BtiApHrgzIPVEzxbkweVFb2E15v6mO8v/view?usp=sharing

If you require any further info, please let me know.

Thanks

Hey @Moss_5000, thanks for the info! I have added your details to our ticket system, we’ll be gathering data from users experiencing this so we can submit a full report to our QA team. Thank you for your patience and I’ll be back once I have more info.

Thanks Nuwriy. A quick update, I’ve managed to get a workaround.

I disconnected the second monitor within Windows, launched Roon and then minimized the app. When clicking on the app to bring it up it works just fine. I reconnected the second monitor (extend display within settings) and now the app can be minimised and maximised successfully.

Not a fix but something in the short term to get around this issue.

Thx
Rav

Update:

So both monitors are now connected to the same graphics card (NVidia GeForce). Secondary card (Intel HD built-in) disabled. Roon now launches and can be minimized and maximised without issue.

You’re probably wondering why I had each monitor connected to a seperate graphics card. As well as my desktop PC (Roon core) I also have a docking station for my laptop which also connects to both monitors via various ‘limited’ inputs. I can switch inputs on the fly depending on which device I need to use.

Hopefully that provides some insight as to the reason for the issues I’ve been experiencing. It seems Roon can’t handle multiple monitors/graphics cards.

Regards
Rav

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.