ROON Core operating system matters

@Dan: Despite the differences you hear, may i ask how you exactly performed the listening tests?

Same Room, same equipment (same DAC) except the used Server machines?

I just want to know who the test set up looks like please.

@Edward I asked how you came to your assumption that the OS matters for Roon?
and why it must be the OS. same question @Dan

So you changed something in the setup and the weakest tools your ears are perfect to notice the differences.
How was the sound levelling between the different set ups assured please just answer that simple question.

When it comes to hearing differences we deal mostly:

1.) with expectation
2.) with test setups, which make no sense at all
3.) assumptions based on the equipment used and never OURSELF

First and most important step for a test:

double blind tests have to be performed to assure a accurate test set up with.

1.) Levelling of the volume at the hearing place have to be assured with max. of 0.1dB difference in any of the used test setups
2.) Same music (part) to be used for all test setups
3.) statistic output of the tests

Sorry guys but i have really attended and performed a lot of these tests on the university with an eye opening outcome (for myself as an audiphile): if there is a noticeable difference in such a test, we were always able to break it down to a bad HW , for instance amplifier-speaker combination involved (clipping, distortion and IT WAS ALWAYS MEASURABLE).

For a starter to read: from Floyd E. Toole:
Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms (Audio Engineering Society Presents)

best regards,

Armin

Dual boot, same HW, same network, same room, same weather, same chairs, same rug, usage of ears to listen, others in attendance feedback, etc.

Setup described above.

Many others have posted in forums regarding the changes when moving up the Windows OS line, so I am not hear to champion as a finding… just passing along my experiences.

Oh wise one on top of the Mountain (again) Ha ha - the old DBT lob, listening issues, measuring issues, etc. This has been discussed SO MANY times it gets way way too old - it is like a cut and paste each and every time.

I will not reply any further on this subject. Others have to make their own determinations on what and if they like something better - being objective or subjective which ever they prefer.

1 Like

I have that book … it’s a very good read.

1 Like

Hi:

I understand that for a Mac computer server, I should get other processes down to below 60, if possible, but always below 70, to “optimize” it for audio. I use a MacMini for my RoonCore. Looking at the number of processes on my MacMini with Activity Monitor I see close to 200 processes, including Java, etc in operation. I am wondering if Roon is driving all these processes or whether I should try and figure out what the unnecessary processes are and shut them down. If there is another thread I should look at for the answer to this, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.