Roon Core repeatedly, randomly losing connection to audio zones (local & network) plus duplicating/losing zones and being weird!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

• Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OS Build 19041.450, Windows Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
  • Intel i9700k CPU @ 4900Ghz
  • 32Gb RAM
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500Gb system drive (Roon app and library DB)
  • Samsung 970 Evo 2Tb M.2 data drive (Music files)
  • Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi MoBo
  • BitDefender AV/Software FW
    *Roon 1.7 (WAS build 571, is now build 610 as of about 10 minutes ago!)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

• Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh Network
  • Core connected via small passive Gb Switch to LAN port on Router Base
  • Primary Zones a mix of LAN and WAN
  • GB Fibre Internet Connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RoPieee XL (LAN) into Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus
KEF LSX (LAN)
Chord Mojo Poly (Wifi)
Sonos 1 (Wifi)
Remote client on iPad Pro 12.9” and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Description Of Issue

This setup has been up until now, solid as a rock for nearly a year with the Ubiqiti and for 3 years + before that with other network gear, but over the last 2 weeks or so is becoming increasingly unstable.

Whilst listening on any of the Zones, (primary ones are Ropiee XL, KEF LSX and Mojo Poly) the audio will stop and the client will start searching/connecting to the core for a random period of time - sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a minute or so - before reconnecting.
Once reconnected, the playback doesn’t/won’t resume for another random period of time and at this point if I browse the audio zones in “Setup” from either the remote OR on the Core itself they are all missing from the list except for my KEF LSX, Airplay Apple TV and Sonos. If I try to play to any of these nothing seems to happen.

After another random period of time (seconds to a minute or so) all of my zones then re-appear and I can continue playback. If at this point I restart the core instead, this seems to speed up the fix.

**Even weirder is the fact that when the core/zones are otherwise working fine, all of my zones - active and inactive - all duplicate themselves 1 or more times and I end up with a long list of copies as shown in the video below!

Important to note that when all of the zones vanish from the list, it includes local ports, ASIO and USB connections to the core as well as the network, suggesting to me that this is not a “Network” issue, but something in the Roon Core app/RAAT Zone connectivity tech?

Thinking about what has changed in my system, the only thing I can really think of is the last major Windows update a month or so back and a recent motherboard BIOS update to the latest version - otherwise all network gear, Core gear and zones are the same as they have always been as far as I can recall.

Everything else on the network is stable and solid - when these drops happen, neither the core or the zones are visibly losing connection to the network or each other outside of the Roon app.
The disconnections impact the remotes and the audio zones simultaneously, but the core itself is still running normally - excepting that it cannot see any audio zones on the network for the length of the drop out (other than the ones above)

So far I have tried:

• A bunch of network, network adapter and cable tests - all of which seem fine
  • Renaming/rebuilding my RAATServer Folder from scratch
  • Swapping around Ethernet cables
  • Disabling all software firewalls/ensuring rules allow for Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe
  • Ensuring all Ubiquti Firmware is current
  • Ensuring all Windows updates are current and network/lan drivers are latest

Nothing seems to work and the dropouts are still persisting - sometimes it will be hours and sometimes seconds between them. Eventually if left alone, it will always resolve itself and reconnect to everything.

help me Obi Wan!

Just to add - almost immediately after posting the above, my Roon Core updated to a new build:
Core: 1.7 (Build 610) stable (64 bit)
Roon Bridge: 1.7 (build 571) stable

Interesting to see if this has any impact on my issues!

Whilst it has seemed anecdotally more stable today, the problem persists after the new version.

I have also rolled back my latest BIOS update - still happening.

And just to clarify the sequence of weirdness:

1. Zone/Endpoint loses connection to core whilst playing
  2. Core stays open/active and doesn’t close or crash on my PC but suddenly can’t see 90% of my zones
  3. After a random period of time, core regains visibility to all end points, but duplicates them so I have anything from 2 to 6 instances of the same zones if I scroll down, as per the video above
  4. If I restart the Roon core App, all the duplicate zones vanish and we are back to normal until the next time it happens…

Hi @Iain,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks @dylan - I will send the time stamp to this thread once I have it.

Currently the Core is showing the duplicate Zones (a few pages worth) but seems to be maintaining connection currently!

So it has been more reliable than when I logged the ticket, but issues persist.

Time stamp for drop out just now - 22.33 NZT on 26/8 - listening on Chord Mojo/Poly

I wasn’t able to reconnect to the core from my iPad remote until 22.45 - I didn’t do anything on the core machine, just kept trying to reconnect.

ETA: Another drop at 23.20 NZT which recovered almost immediately and then again at 23.22 with a more significant outage time. Same listening setup as before

Another couple - 11.50 am NZT 27th August

Hi @dylan - appreciate you are busy, but any chance we can get that logging enabled? I spoke too soon about stability last night - it was repeatedly dropping out!

I have subsequently:

1. Reinstalled Roon (but kept Database and settings)
  2. Reconfigured my Ubiquiti AmpliFi with all default settings and no “tweaks” etc.

Still the issue persists.

Hello @Iain, and thanks for the timestamps! I have enabled diagnostics for your account and am currently submitting a report to our team for further analysis. Thanks again for your patience and I’ll be in touch with the team’s thoughts shortly!

Thanks @nuwriy

So major update: I did the following over the weekend:

1. Factory reset on Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Router/Mesh
  2. Rolled back the Firmware to the previous version

Which seemed to stabilise things!

I have now re-installed the latest firmware and - fingers crossed - I have not had a dropout or the weird multiplying of Zones in the audio settings since…

Lets keep monitoring, but it seems that this has maybe resolved and in terms of timings, the original installation of the latest firmware does seem to be roughly in line with when the issues started.

Still be good to check the logs and see if we can confirm and potentially help others in future.

Cheers

Hey @Iain, that’s a good find! I’ll keep your ticket in the system so we can double check the findings, but in the meantime please let me know if the issue returns!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.