Roon Core shows as a blank white window, although it still functions and other Roon devices can see the core

Roon Core Machine:

Processor - Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz|
Installed RAM - 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Microsoft Remote Display Adapter
Pen and touch - No pen or touch input is available for this display

System type - Windows 10, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Roon Core - Version 1.8 build 884

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Write below this line
Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switch, hard wired Gigabit Ethernet connections

Connected Audio Devices

Windows 11 PC
Chromecast
Will add more when I can get Roon to work reliably

Number of Tracks in Library

5149 tracks

Description of issue

I use a Windows 10 PC as a Media Server with Roon core installed. The server has no display, so I use Windows Remote desktop to access it. When I remote in, the minimised Roon window is blank and white. If I maximise, the whole window remains blank and white. Exiting Roon and restarting results in normal functionality with the Roon core window visible and all functions available - until the next time I remote in. Even when the window is blank, other Roon devices can see the core and play content. I am also noticing that the Roon core app has often closed when I access the server. It seems too often to just be Windows update restarts but as Roon won’t restart with the windows server its hard to be sure if this is an issue or my paranoia (separate support issue raised on this topic).
I have read on the forum that there are issues with multiple display adapters and and Intel graphics chipsets (I have both) and I have updates the system to the latest intel drivers, with no change.

If this is a headless system, you’re probably better off installing Roon Server on it instead of the full Roon package, and using Roon Server to provide your Core…

There are long-standing issues with Microsoft’s Remote Desktop app and the Roon UI running on a remote system. If you really need to have the Roon UI on your media server, try Teamviewer as an alternative to Remote Desktop - that reportedly works better.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff,
That seems to have worked, and as I don’t need the full Roon package, I should have gone thay route from the start - my bad. The full Roon package was also giving me Windows Event Log errors and crashing the application. I was about to log a separate support issue, but I’ll give it a few days and see if Roon Server has fixed that too.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.