Roon core stopping several times a day

Hi @Omer_Shibolet

I enable diagnostics and did some digging for us. In every one of your logs, I see network errors connecting to time servers, account servers, device servers, location servers, internet radio, and Tidal. These are consistent from 1-24-23 to today (that’s how far back the logs go for us). The core is somehow inhibited from getting out to the internet and it’s quite consistent.

Are there any VPNs being used?
Are there any VMs being used?
Is wifi also turned on for the core?
Are there any switches managed or otherwise?

I might recommend setting router DNS to Google or Cloudflare as well.

Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 while Cloudflare is 1.1.1.1.

Otherwise, you might want to look at cables and restart your network elements.

Regards,
Wes

Hi
Thanks Geoff.

Looking at the event viewer I see about once a day a roon related reported error, in some CLR code.

It goes like this:

Roon.exe
63d2b996
clr.dll
624ce98e
c00000fd
000000000000b6b4
566c
01d93a36fc805fba
C:\Users\omers\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
6083589f-e2d4-46d9-87c2-62cfd63dc992

Omer.

Thanks Wes for the help.

I use VPN for work, but none for roon and it’s not on the same computer (but is on the same network).
No VM’s involved.
No WIFI at the core machine.
There is one switch in the network, not connected to roon-related devices, but between router and MiBox + PS5.

DNS for ethernet is set as 8.8.8.8 and alternate 1.1.1.1 (unencrypted both).

I understand you see network errors in the logs. Network is not great, we get occasional network-downs (rarer than Roon down), but other than that, PS5, tv and hd movies work great.
I will try and look into network issues. Strange thing is this started happening when moving to 2.0 , is this version more vulnerable to these situations?

Thx, Omer.

Hi @Omer_Shibolet,

I am unaware of any changes from the 1.8 architecture to 2.0 that would cause such timeouts to happen. We do have options though. I’m going to list the instructions on how to clear the cache for your Roon instance. Below that, I will list the instructions for a fresh install across the board in case the cache clearing doesn’t work. Please note, take care to backup before you do these things! You will also need to re-enable your audio devices and if you have any custom DSP, note those settings before proceeding.

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

If this doesn’t seem to change anything, we can completely eliminate the Roon SW as a source of the problem by giving it a fresh install:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Please let me know how things go, Omer. I’ll be monitoring for responses!

Thanks,
Wes

I am having the same issues as well. Additionally, I am now not able to play any music through Roon as the songs time out. Might hear a few seconds of the songs and then it stops playing. This was never an issue before.

Hi @Charlie_Bettcher,

You are welcome to try the steps I have provided but it’s possible your case isn’t going to have the same conditions and therefore, might require a different course of action.

If you would, please create a post in the support category and complete the requested template so that we may address issues on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you,
Wes

Hello Wes,

I tried your suggestions above. renaming the roon and raatserver folders and reinstlling the software worked. Thank for the help.

1 Like

This is “music” to my ears! Best wishes!

Thanks,
Wes

Now we just need the news from, @Omer_Shibolet.

Omer, let me know!

Wes

@Wes now you got my attention!!
Hopefully I’ll try this later today.
Thx again.
Omer.

1 Like

I hate to say it but having the issue again.

Hi @Charlie_Bettcher,

I’m sorry to hear that.

If you would, please open a new topic in the support category and complete the requested template. We’ll investigate your issue separately from, @Omer_Shibolet to be sure you both get the best possible care.

Regards,
Wes

I have a problem. Since the initial discussion Roon has been stable like a ROK (sic).
This hasn’t been the case for months.
@Wes could this be attributed to anything you fixed here?
I postponed any change/fix until problems appear again. I will update here.
Thx everyone again.
Omer.

1 Like

Update:
It still happens from time to time.
Removed the Cache contents, waiting to see if that solves it.
Omer.

1 Like

If this doesn’t change anything, please let me know.

Wes

Still occurs. Can happen twice daily or once in three days.

Just called the telecom company, upgrade to fiber scheduled Mar 14. More internet downs lately, hope this solves it for Roon too, will update

Thx again.

Internet access was upgraded to fiber today. Hoping this solves it.

@Wes
Well after the upgrade to fiber it still happens. But roughly once or twice a week, still nagging but nothing like before.
If you have any other suggestions pls let me know.
Could it be related to this problem?

Thx again, Omer.

As reported, still happening once or twice a week, I really think this has to do with the “resuming from minimized” bug.
I will try and create a second desktop. Thanks Roon for teaching me hidden features of Windows :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.