Roon core unstable after an update. HARD DOWN

The NTFS question came up several times in this thread above, and in one post by Roon support it was specifically mentioned to attach the disk to Windows and run a disk check. However, I don’t think the specific command was ever mentioned, as far as I can see, and I can’t remember the outcome (without rereading the whole thread).

@Ben_Katz did you ever try this?

• Attach the USB Disk to Windows. Note the drive letter that it receives in the File Explorer
  • Search for CMD in the Windows Start menu
  • When Command Prompt appears, click Run as Administrator
  • When the command window opens, type the command (without quotes, and assuming that the drive letter is Z - change as needed): “chkdsk Z: /f /r”
  • Press Enter key after entering the command and wait.
  • When it is done, close the command window
  • Remove the drive safely as described here: Safely remove hardware in Windows - Microsoft Support

Does it work now on the ROCK?

There were quite many issues caused by previous unsafe removal of USB drives with NTFS file systems (e.g. unplugging from Windows without safe removal or unplugging from ROCK without shutting down), now that RoonOS since build 254 is strict about it (which is a very good thing as it avoids corruption)

Understanding of the issue has improved over time, Roon are working on a better solution:

NTFS was never recommended for external storage on ROCK because of issues like this. exFAT is recommended if Windows compatibility is needed:

1 Like