Roon core upgrade wipes out the database on Linux [Resolved]


my core just upgraded to build 259 and it wiped out the database.
The same thing happened on the previous build upgrade but I didn’t have time to troubleshoot.
After the upgrade, my tablet can no-longer connect to the core and upon searching and connecting to the upgraded core I get a login screen for my Roon account.

I’ve also restored a backup 3 times and each time the upgrade wipes out the database. shows all green.

Core is running on Ubuntu:
uname -a
Linux media 4.12.0-11-lowlatency #12 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 20 14:01:02 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cat /etc/
Ubuntu 17.04

I am NOT running roon as root but it’s own account in it’s own directory it has full access to.

The only suspicious thing I can see in the roon server log after the upgrade is this:

8/24 11:26:26 Trace: [broker/backups] initializing
08/24 11:26:26 Trace: [broker/accounts] file not found
08/24 11:26:26 Trace: [broker/accounts] Data updated. AccountStatus=NoAccountConfigured MachineStatus=NeedsAccount UserId=

I can provide the full log via PM if needed.

Hi @Vick ----- Thank you for the feedback and sharing your observations with us, since the update. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

I would definitely like to get a complete set of your logs over to our techs for evaluation. May I kindly ask you to please send them to me via PM at your earliest convenience.


Hi @Vick ----- Thank you for your patience here.

Moving forward, I want to let you know that I received your logs and I passed them over to our techs to see if they could pinpoint what the issue could be here. By default, when Roon is being hosted on Linux, the DB is saved in /var/roon. We also give the user the ability to pick another folder, should they chose to do so.

Upon evaluating your logs, our techs noticed that you have the Roon DB stored inside the “application” folder, which gets deleted whenever an update to a new version of the application occurs. They believe that this configuration is what is causing not only this issue but also this one as well.


Thanks, that was the problem indeed!
I assumed that the ROON_DATAROOT variable should point to where the database would be stored and did not expect that it would append RoonServer to it which made it the same as the install directory.
I will try a backup restore if few days and report back if there any problems.

1 Like

Hi @Vick ---- Thank you for touching base with me! I am going to be marking this thread as resolved and closing it out. However, please do share the results of your testing with restoring from a backup in this other thread.