Roon Core will not start after update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel Core i5-7500 @ 3.4Ghz with 16GB RAM. ROON 1.7 (build 500) stable. Windows 10 Pro

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear Orbi mesh network router. PC ROON core is ethernet cable connected to router. iPad controller on wifi. Qobuz Studio subscription

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Lindermann Limetree Network connected via Ethernet cable to same router as PC running Roon Core.

Description Of Issue
I am on a trial subscription since yesterday morning. All was running so well to the point I was considering finally selling my turntable!

Today I got a message on my iPad that one of the devices had a new Roon software update. I pressed the link to update. I believe it was the PC that was updated.

After the update, the iPad could not connect to the Roon server though I tried several times. I then tried to relaunch the Roon software on the PC but keep getting the Fatal Error message “Cannot set the chosen Pixelformat. Chosen PixelFormat was 0”.

I then restarted Windows but the issue remains.

This concerns me because (a) I am on a very limited time trial of 2 weeks for Roon and need to use it to evaluate it for a lifetime subscription which is a substantial investment and (b) I had hoped Roon was a mature programme which would not suffer these types of update etc. issues which require software knowledge as I am far from being a computer expert and frankly want to enjoy my music and not fiddle with software.

Please fix this issue for me so I can resume my trial. If the trial can be extended somewhat to compensate for lost evaluation time, I’d be grateful. Thanks Roy

IOS updates sometimes take a while to flow down in some regions. its been released so check again soon for a new update in the iOS App Store

Please make sure you’re using the latest driver for your graphics card.

OK, I have no idea why but all seems to be working now again. The iPad was also updated and all seems to be well once again. Does this sort of thing happen often? Is it because I’m using my general purpose PC and this sort of issue would not occur with a purpose built PC like a NUC or a Sonic Transporter? The app on the Lindemann Limetree Network is rock solid but not as pretty as ROON nor as extensive. I’m asking because I’m wondering whether the lifetime sub is value or whether I’m buying into ongoing software issues. When I want to listen to music, that’s what I want to do and not faff around with software…enough of that with Windows itself hahaha. Also it needs to be wife friendly and software issues will definitely NOT appeal.

1.7 is a major update and this seldom happens unless there are many infrastructure changes under the hood. Ive been using roon for over 3 years and think I can only recall once in the past this disconnect of versions happened.

1 Like

Thank you for your information. That’s a very robust endorsement for a piece of software indeed! The reason I was getting concerned is that I’ve had it only for 1 day before the issue occurred and there seems to be so many threads detailing issues in the past. Appreciate your experience sharing.

That’s usually the case in support forums. People who never had a problem or at least not one that they couldn’t resolve themselves, probably never showed up here.

Yes this happens on most forums I’ve been on. I’m more sensitive with this though as it’s a $500 decision and only 2 weeks trial in advance. Gotta say I’m surprised at the brevity of the trial for the outlay. If have expected at least 30 days but hey it’s not my business model.

You only have this one shot at it being $500. The lifetime price has gone up.

Oh, thanks for the heads up.

There is some info about being on a trial here from Danny…

Looks like I got in just under the wire! Just started the trial yesterday. How lucky is that? I’ll be signing up for sure as I loved the program. Was just a bit worried about it’s stability but I guess the dozens of folks complaining about the price increase must mean it represents good value at the old price.

A post was split to a new topic: Database won’t load with the new update