Windows 10, latest Updates

Networking Gear & Setup Details

MSI onboard Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

MSI onboard USB to external DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Ca. 50k

Description of Issue

Sudden increase of memory usage caused by Roon Core (from ~4GB to 8GB+) after 1-2 hours of simple playing time. This memory leakage is causing a constant freeze of the Roon Core with no option than to kill the Roon Core process and to restart the task. What is causing the high Windows memory consumption? And why does Roon fail to self-regulate the memory usage (that is freeing up RAM when not longer used)?

This Roon Core behaviour is unfortunately hindering a flawless listening experience and hopefully the forum can help to get this sorted.

Hey @Klaus-19,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Sorry to hear you’re running into issues with Roon freezing on you. Before digging in deeper, I have a few follow-up questions for you:

1. It looks like you have two displays available - does this occur when only using the primary display? Or does it happen no matter the display?
  2. Does this issue occur when streaming audio through your system output?
  3. What file type are you playing when the issue occurs? Are these local albums, streaming, or a mix? Roon Radio? Internet radio?
  4. Does Roon ever crash on its own without having to terminate the process via the Windows system admin?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like

Hi Benjamin,

thanks for investigating is my still persisting challenge.

1. The Roon freeze happens no matter of how many displays I am using
  2. Yes, it happens either streaming through an external device and/or system output
  3. Streaming
  4. Roon is indicating Not responding and is litterally frozen from then on. There is no Roon crash as such (i.e. self stopping of the process

The peculiar fact is that in the case above the Windows task manager indicates a sharp increas in Roon’s consumption of RAM memory (from approx. 4 GB to 8 GB). Not sure if this information helps.

Thanks for you help.

Hey @Klaus-19,

Thanks for sharing the information above. After enabling diagnostics on your account, we’re seeing a reoccurring issue around the file path DiskStation-3\music

As a next step, please try to disable path: \\DiskStation-3\music and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, we’d like to take a look into your windows event view logs in more depth. Please follow the steps below for this:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs here and let us know once you’ve done so:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.