Asus X555L Intel i5-4210, 4GB RAM, Windows 10, 64 bit
My ripped CD library is stored on an attached USB 2TB SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired via ethernet to a Nokia router

Connected Audio Devices

2 x Raspberry Pi, 1 x Naim Uniti Atom

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon’s been playing up for a while - kept randomly pausing playback as it lost sight of the endpoint devices. Then for the last week all seemed well until the last 24 hours, when it now won’t load Roon. The initial screen comes up with the icon in the middle, but that’s as far as it gets. I’ve left it like that for a couple of hours and it never moves on.

What should I do? Should I re-install Roon? Would I lose my library settings including play counts etc?

Many thanks

@Jon_Llewellyn, what version of Roon are you using for your Core? Also, the RAM amount on your computer may be too low for a Windows 10 computer with a 15K track library. Your computer may be running out of memory to run Windows, Roon Core, and anything else you have. Can you add memory to your PC? Windows 10 tends to require a minimum of 8 GB of RAM, and in my experience even 16 GB if possible.

Looking at your CPU, that appears to be a 9-year-old CPU, which may be a bit underpowered for Windows 10. If you cannot add RAM, do you have another computer you can try as a Roon Core?

Hi, many thanks for your help with this. I take note of all your points and be advised that I do plan to upgrade the core to a NUC as soon as I can. But, it was working with this setup, so why has it suddenly stopped? It won’t load at all - just hangs. I could understand if it loaded and was then slow, but it’s always been pretty responsive when it’s working. I’ve just tried uninstalling and then re-installing Roon, it still won’t work.

There have been some recent Microsoft updates as well as Roon updates that seem to be resetting the Windows firewall excpetions. Not sure if this is related, but is it possible to confirm these exceptions are still listed? Also, what version of Roon are you running, 1234 Production or 1228/1235 earlyaccess?

Hi, I’m not using any early access versions, just the standard, but it is up to date. Can’t check the actual version as it won’t load. Not sure whether this is relevant, but over the last couple of weeks there have been occasions where I couldn’t access Roon and when I’ve flipped the lid on the core laptop the screen has said something like it’s polling or checking the database and it could take minutes or maybe an hour - the laptop was completely frozen, no response from anything including CRTL+ALT+DEL, so I ended up closing it down by long pressing the power button. It then reloaded ok, but not now.

How do I check the firewall exceptions?

This is probably the easiest way to follow:

Figures C and D, and you want a Private exception each for roon.exe and raatserver.exe. I doubt this is the issue, but worth confirming.

What version of W10 are you running, 22H2 (10.0.19045.2728)?

Hi, I’m using Windows 10 Home, 22H2, OS Build 19045.2728

I’ve checked the firewall settings, there were 2 entries for raatserver and Roon, I’ve made sure they all have private exceptions, still won’t load….

Try reinstalling Roon again. You won’t lose your existing database and settings. However, if there is no change, then the issue may be being caused by a corrupted database.

In that case, providing you have an earlier backup, you could try a complete uninstall of Roon (deleting the Roon Database and Settings when given the option to do this) and then a fresh install. That will give you a fresh database, to which you can restore your earlier backup.

How do I know if I have a backup?

Did you create a backup or backups using the Backup process from within Roon, as show below:

Thank you both for your help. I had to do a clean reinstall and restore from the most recent backup. I’m really gutted though, as I had added some music to my queue which I was really enjoying and can’t remember the artist or album title. I’ve checked in Qobuz as I was streaming it from there, but Roon streams don’t seem to be stored in play history. Can I just check there’s no other way to get this info?

Sorry to hear you may have lost some of your track history. I am not a Qobuz subscriber so cannot address that question, but other users may have some ideas or suggestions.

Hey @Jon_Llewellyn,

Ben here with the support team, I wanted to check in on the status of your issue. Are you still having issues?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hey Ben. Well, since reinstalling I thought Roon was running ok, but last night I couldn’t access it and found the whole laptop locked up, CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn’t do anything, even the cursor was frozen and the Roon screen said at the bottom it had lost all the devices again. Had to hold the power button down to turn it off and restart. So, it’s not working as it should, no.

Hi @Jon_Llewellyn

I think @Robert_F is correct in their first post. The specs of your computer are a little weak for the current version of Roon with you library quantity.

Have you got the facility to add more RAM or another machine to use as your Core, maybe running ROCK alone instead.

1 Like

A NUC running ROCK is probably the way forward, I just haven’t found the time to do all the research that requires as yet.

Hey @Jon_Llewellyn,

Thanks for letting me know! As both @Menzies and @Robert_F mentioned, it may be a good next step to consider upgrading the RAM on your core device.

Or, if you have another device you could temporarily test as a core, it may be helpful to see how performance runs?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.