Roon Core works over WiFi but not ethernet

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel NUC (10th gen) which has Windows 10 pro installed.
Music files are stored on a WD NAS.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Everything is connected via ethernet (BT is the internet provider).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help, but the below issue is driving me mad and I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Please bear in mind that I’m not tech savvy…

For some reason, when trying to connect to Roon via my phone or tablet… it just says connecting and never finds the core. When I connect my Intel NUC via WiFi, it connects perfectly fine.

If I want to connect via ethernet, I have to use IP 255.255.255.255 on the phone/tablet app. Finally when looking through the advanced network settings (WiFi and ethernet) the settings seem to match and I also tried turning off the firewall … so I have no clue what’s going wrong.

Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks

Are WiFi and wired on the same subnet?

Hi @Giuseppe_C,

As suggested above, can you confirm that the wired and wireless networks are on the same subnet? What is the IP address of the NUC while connected via Ethernet vs one of your wireless remotes?

Thanks for your speedy response. Like I said I’m not very tech savvy :frowning: how do I check if they are on the same subnet?

Many thanks

There are a couple of ways to do it.

Here is Microsoft’s way. Basically, you connect via Wifi, get its IP address and copy it down. Change to Etherenet, get it’s IP address and then post both here for comparison help.

OR,

You can RUN and enter cmd, this will open a command line, enter ipconfig and look for the IPv4 line. Do this once for each way you’ve connected and then post the two address’ here.

Hi sorry for the late reply.

I did some investigation and I can see that the IP address for Wi-Fi and Ethernet was different (Wi-Fi IP ended with .154 and ethernet ended as .251, however, i also noticed, when i try connect to Roon core using my windows pc or IOS, they both connect perfectly fine (even when the core is connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet). It seems to be an android issue (i could be wrong).

Both of my android devices (s21 ultra, tab s7+) have android 11 and both wont connect to the core unless the core is using Wi-Fi.

I know I could use ethernet and just use the 255.255.255.255 technique but it’s a terrible experience as it can take over 5-7 seconds to find the core when opening the app. Every time you need to change an album you have to wait and connect to it again.

Not sure if the 1.8 update fixes this issue, but apparently this has been going on for over 2 years.

Thanks

It’s not the last number your looking for its the first 3 sets numbers that’s important. So as example 192.168.1 all devices need to be using the same first 3.

Are you using the BT home hub or all home Wifi?

There is an issue with Android 11 on Samsung hardware with some Roon users but not all. This I feel is a Samsung issue and what they are doing in the network stack.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.