Roon could not find WGL functions

Roon Core Machine

Hewlett Packard (HP) Envy h8-1520t PC, about 8 years old
Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon 7500 (driver up to date)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Comcast router. Computer is connected via WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I just installed Roon after taking advantage of the Black Friday $1 for 3 months deal. When I try to launch Roon I get this error:

Roon could not find WGL functions required to initialize OpenGL.
It is likely that the proper drivers for your display hardware are not installed.
Up-to-date drivers should be available from the website of your computer or GPU manufacturer.

Hello Samuel, I’m not with support but thought I would offer a hand.
I note that card is a bit older. AMD has limited support for that card in their “legacy” support section. When you state the drivers are “up to date” when were they released?
Unfortunately, it looks like you may not be able to do what you intend as it stands. A newer video card may be needed.

Hi MamaTried. Thank you very much for the help. I was afraid that might be the case; i.e., that the card is simply too old. The machine is old for a PC (8 years) and I’m hoping to upgrade it soon to a more modern fanless PC. I’m not sure when the driver was released specifically, but I checked to make sure I had the latest driver, at least Windows tells me I do. CCleaner tells me drivers are up to date as well. Thank you again. I appreciate your help.

That card was released in 2001. it was getting on at the time it was integrated into your system.
I think you are as up to date as can be, unfortunately. As a stop gap, cheap, older yet still supported cards are on ebay. especially if it can’t be used to mine crypto.

Samuel, did you install Catalyst software and driver from AMD site? It seems latest version was released in 2006, but that may contain the OpenGL runtime you need. If you already did, or if that doesn’t fix it, then most probably you need a newer card - which in turn might require a newer machine :frowning:

Forgot to ask: did you install full Roon or just Roon Server? The latter does not have a user interface and should not require OpenGL.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll check out replacement cards for sure. I do want to get an entire new computer, but not quite ready to do that just yet. A more up to date graphics card might be a good solution for the short term. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Marian. Thank you for the help. I installed full Roon. I’ll check out Roon server as well. For full Roon, unfortunately, I think you are right that I need a more up to date graphics card. I’ve been wanting a new computer for the past year or so, but the expense has made me reluctant to commit to a purchase. I may see if there is a replacement card that will work in my machine in the meantime. Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

1 Like