Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

But in fact, you DID pay $699 for that product (or whatever price you paid). Even after a trial period.
I would bet that very few people refrain from buying Roon because it doesn’t have a formal manual, but that many people don’t buy it because of its cost. So does it make sense to increase the cost of the product substantially to include a manual that most people don’t require (or probably don’t even use)? Does it make sense to put effort ($$$) into a manual rather than fix or refine features?

Wiki-like documentation seems more the norm these days for products from small companies like Roon. I DO wish the KB were more accessible and updated more frequently. But at the end of the day, it serves its purpose in the majority of cases.

I for one would prefer features and refinements over manuals written by technical writers.

@ToneDeaf I understand and they work as supposed, undoubtedly. Hence I was grateful for your and Dirk’s suggestion. What I was referring to is that the bookmarks are a result of the focus selection that Dirk suggested so if my library changes the resulting bookmarks that comprise my owned assets (versus TIDAL, QOBUZ, etc) vary. I.e. when I add something to my library I need to re-run Dirk’s and your suggestion that in combination give me what I was looking for in the first place (a dynamically adjusted view versus a point-in-time static bookmark definition). As mentioned it’s a workable mitigation for now because my library doesn’t change on a daily base but the library concept still appears to be broken to me … or phrasing more positively: there’s room for UX improvements :slight_smile:

@Mike_O_Neill Thanks, got it. Still surprised, though. I considered the bookmarks to be a representation of the view I received following Dirk’s focus proposal (like I bookmark a web site). Instead it is a reference (view) on the possibly varying library content. Only the prior focus criteria is static. Nice, and now that I understand probably “good enough” for me moving forward (thanks to all of you) - still surprising from a UX perspective as it was not intuitive getting there …

Where :astonished:, did I miss something?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Here’s another bug/ oversight that’s an easy fix but gets no love:

If you edit tags on any files that have previously been analysed Roon will merrily re-analyse that which has already been analysed rather than just read in the changed metadata. This despite being able to quickly verify that the underlying audio stream has not changed.

Low impact of you’ve changed an album or two, but not when you go add a roonalbumtag to a whole branch of your music.

How absurd.

Hey Kyle, just a heads up. I have an open topic with support concerning the Blank Screen issue that I’ve had. iPad12.9 Roon Remote Issue. I’ve added a reference to your post here in that topic. The issue sounds similar but may not be related.

It seems that for all iOS apps the user is just supposed to know without any instructions exactly how everything works since after all iOS is completely and entirely intuitive. This is true because God, aka Steve Jobs, in his most infinite and infallible wisdom deemed it so. In other words, the holy church of the three dots.

Thanks for that information @Jazzfan_NJ, I have enabled the Keep Screen Awake option. Does that keep the IPAD screen awake as long as the Roon app is running in the foreground? Or is that in the background as well? Guess I can find that out by trying it. I’ve had the “Blank Screen” issue 4 times in the past month. Each time I’ve had to delete and reinstall Roon Remote to get back to normal operations. Stopping and starting the app does not correct it. I’ve had the issue twice when the IPAD screen was awake so that does not appear to be the trigger in my case.

@Mike_LC As far as I can tell the keep screen awake function only works when the Roon Remote is running in the foreground.

The only issue with this otherwise nice feature is that should you forget that you have Roon Remote running in the foreground the battery will quickly run down since the screen doesn’t go to sleep.

Yes, it keeps the screen awake with Roon in the foreground and not when Roon in the backgound. Tried it both ways. Very handy features and thanks for sharing. I will be keeping that enabled and flip Roon to the background when not actively using the screen.

FYI @Kyle_Kerley @farmbacker, and anyone else that has encountered the issue. I received an update on the support ticket I have open for the “Blank Screen” issue. The support team indicated they have enough information now, from the open ticket, what was posted here and perhaps on other posts they have found, to open an investigation on the issue. I take that to mean someone will be actively working on it.

It’s a good thing you posted in this topic. Had been thinking I was the only one experiencing the problem.

Not quite the spirit of the thread.

2 Likes

Maybe but the facts are the facts…deleted

Thanks for the update, glad to know it’s on their radar.

I’ve been requesting this for over a year! It’s so frustrating

At least, begin to address all those bugs in Roon that are fixed by a Core reboot.

Or when, for seemingly no reason, the iOS Remote loses connection with the Core and stays in a ‘Initializing’ status until the Remote is restarted.

3 Likes

Speaking of reboots… When I had Rock on my NUC I was rebooting every week for something. I now have Win 10 on the NUC as well as HQPlayer and JRiver Media Server for remote listening and I have not rebooted once for Roon issues. The Tidal and Qobuz album retreival has also stayed more constant. Interesting…

I have a ROCK setup and it only ever gets rebooted or restarted if I have to move it, power fails in the house or a Roon update happens. However, very seldom do I have the Tidal login issue that a reboot normally fixes it does still happen from time to time.

This:

Why/ how does Roon pull off such such stupid artist conflation? The ingestion code is clearly buggy and needs attention. I have so much of this kind of Roon introduced conflation noise in my library. I don’t have any Snakes and Music in my library, I’ve never heard of them and there’s not even a band member in common. Fix it, please!

I’ve just been presented with this… It’s still happening.:-1: